Easter Bunny Shaped Rolls

144.9K Flares 144.9K Flares ×

easter bunny rolls recipe

How adorable are these Easter Bunny Shaped Rolls? The secret to shaping the ears is Kitchen Shears! Use your favorite roll recipes to bake these bunnies or try the one below. Your family will love to see these cute bunnies on the Easter dinner table this year.

Please note that you will probably want to practice the ear shaping technique ahead of time because the photo above is from a professional chef. Your results may vary. Also please note that the recipe below is NOT the recipe used in the picture you see above.** Edited April 2014: The original recipe has finally been located (thank you, Pat!) and is linked at the bottom of the blog post. The original recipe uses a pastry dough instead of a bread dough.

Ingredients:

• 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 egg

Directions:

1. Put the butter, the sour cream and water in a small saucepan and heat, but do not cook. Cool to tepid then add the remaining ingredients. Put in a kneader (or use your kneader attachment on your mixer if you have one). If thick add more water.
  2. Let it rise double and cut into 16 equal parts.
  3. Baking tray lined with baking paper or a silicone baking mat and cut the ears with kitchen shears. When the dough is STILL SOFT, Make sure you smooth the edges around, so you do not end up with gremlin shaped horns.
  4. The eyes can then be put in, use pepper grains or similar.
  5. Bake at 375° for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Looking for easy Easter table decor? Check out my blog post about DIY Easter Centerpieces with Peeps and Tulips.

My kids loved waking up to an Easter breakfast featuring these cute Cinnabunny cinnamon rolls! See these Easter ideas and more of my favorite things when you follow me on Pinterest.

Edited April 2014: The original recipe “Chinese New Year Pineapple Tarts” has finally been located online. It’s a huge surprise to me to learn that these are actually a pastry with a sweet pineapple filling. Perhaps a pastry dough will be easier to cut and shape into bunny ears that bake up the right way?  I know using plain roll dough can be a challenge when they bake.

DISCLAIMER IMAGE

144.9K Flares Twitter 94 Facebook 26.9K Google+ 74 StumbleUpon 103.3K Pin It Share 14.5K Email -- 144.9K Flares ×

Comments

1. so cute and creative, i love it!

2. I really think that these Easter Bunny Shaped rolls are really cute and easy to make. Easter is coming early this year, and this recipe would be a great one to make for my family.

3. Aww, those are very cute! The shears work perfectly to create the floppy ears, and the pepper grains are ideal for the eyes! Thanks for sharing this simple how-to recipe!

4. How cute. Thanks for this great idea – I’ll definitely give it a try!

5. So cute and I hope to try these:)

6. Aw, that’s so cute! I just told my mom about this, she said her mom used to make them too. She hasn’t thought about them in years. Great nostalgia for her. We’re definitely doing this for Easter! Thanks for the recipe:)

7. Laura/Readerwoman says:

I am SO going to do these – but I am going to cut the ears with those scissors that have different shapes on the blades! :) Individualize them.

8. Kristina Wasiura says:

I can’t wait to serve this adorable and simple recipe for Easter brunch!

9. Never knew it could be so easy to make lil bunnies!!! Great recipe, my granddaughter will love it!!

10. Adorable and worth the effort!

11. I am so impressed! The ears are absolutely adorable. I’m not sure if I can pull these off, but I’ll try. Thanks for the photos and instructions!
    Robin O recently posted..Global Green USA Green School Makeover Competition Presented by PureologyMy Profile

12. This is just too adorable. I will be doing this for Easter dinner definitely. My family would be shocked to see me do this just because it is something different and not what I would normally do. Thanks for sharing this adorable recipe. Have a great weekend!!!!

13. Ahh….these are so cute. Who would have thought you could make them this easily with a snip of the scissors. Thanks so much for the recipes. We will make them for Easter dinner.

14. Such a simple trick to make the rolls special for Easter! Thanks for sharing.

15. michelle oakley warner says:

wow this is so cute i bet this is a hit with the kids, great idea thanks so much

16. These are so adorable! Totally making them on Easter!

17. These are adorable, one question though my boyfriend is very lactose intolerant any way to make these with out sour cream?

• Hi Laura, I have never made these without the sour cream, so I’m not sure what to substitute for it. But, I would assume that you could use another roll recipe and shape them the same way. Hope that sort of helps. -Nicole

• Ok thanks Ill try that :D

• I just made these with plain yogurt instead of sour cream and they turned out great! I did need some extra flour but that was all. Thanks for the great description of “pliable but not sticky” so that I knew exactly what I was looking for!

• Nicole: I saw a recipe like this on Facebook – it said frozen bread dough could be used. Do you know if they turn out the same using the frozen bread dough?

• Hi Susan, I haven’t tried it with frozen bread dough but would think it should work the same as other doughs. BUT to be honest with you, this recipe has not worked out very well with the ears shaping. I can’t get it just right like the picture shows it (and as you can probably tell from the comments, many others are having a hard time getting the ears to lay down too). I still think this is such a cute idea to have bunny shaped rolls, but just wish it worked out better for all of us who are trying so hard to make them. Good luck if you decide to make it. Happy Easter! -Nicole

• Jackie Mixon says:

Bey Susan use the frizen rolls thsy cims in a bag of 12 or 36 that works. Let them thaw a lille and snip the ears-

• I thawed out a frozen loaf of bread, cut it up into 16 pieces, tried to shape them a bit egg shaped, let them rise…then snipped in the ears…actually worked well, as long as you wet your finger & patiently shape and he tips of the ears so they round off…then spritzer them with spray butter, sprinkled a bit of Italian seasoning for flavoir and baked at 350′ for approx 20 mins…everyone thought they were cool! But the ones I didn’t spend much time on the ears…well they liked like vampire bunnies!

• soft tofu will work just fine .Add soy milk to thin it

• I’m vegan and eat Tofutti “Better than sour cream.” That might work, although I can’t claim I’ve ever tried it in baking.

18. Mine actually turned out a bit more like gremlins! LOL.
    Mary Ann recently posted..My Gremlin Rolls…Your Bunny RollsMy Profile

19. I have never seen such a cute rolls in my life and the fact that it’s literally only a couple snips with kitchen shears! I absolutely love it! I’m definitely going to be making these…they will be on my table at Easter but I’ll likely make them well before then as well…I think they will be really cute on a green plate that makes it look like baby bunnies on grass…thanks so much for such a cute bunny roll tutorial.

20. Christine says:

I myself have three boys an 8 year old and a set of twins that are 3 and I am always looking for new recipes to mix thing up a little and when I seen this I new it would be the perfect recipe to put a smile on there faces.SO Thanks!

21. These are just too cute. I am going to have to make these for Easter dinner. Thanks for the cute recipe. Have a great day!!!

22. ellen beck says:

Cute as the dickens and I bet the kids would love them- I have seen something similiar and there is a depression and an egg fits in the top (hard boiled)

23. the shapes are so adorable – what really intrigues me as a baker is the amount of sour cream (rather than a huge amt of butter) – sounds yummy and I really want to try this – bunny shape & all!

24. John Hutchens says:

these are cute my kids would love them

25. I love these!! Too cute…I think my daughter would love these too!

26. Sharon D. says:

How cute — bunny buns! :)
    I am Nim, a valiant voyager from the Discover Which Adventurer You Are Quiz! from the Return to Nim’s Island app. No place to put this at the end of that blog, so I put it here.

27. Kathy Lane says:

Thanks for the recipe!I want to make these for Easter dinner,my grandkids would love them,and they look like they will be easy to make.

28. These are so cute, but mine came out more like pigs or something. They looked similar to the photo where the lady said hers’ looked like gremlins. Maybe my problem was using frozen dough & shaping after they had risen for several hours? The dough continued to rise up while baking & the ears & faces practically disappeared.

29. Those Bunny Rolls are so darling! Thanks for sharing the recipe and tutuorial.
    Teresa recently posted..April Fools Day Can of Tricks for Surprise on Kids’ Lunch or as InvitationMy Profile

30. I made these without realizing that the picture in this post is from some other site, and I could not actually trace the original source. The picture of snipping the ears does not result in the bunnies on the left! The bunny ears end up being two sharp pointy ears that stand up and look more like a cat or Pikachu. The real end result looks nothing like bunnies. I’ve seen several other people who had this same problem (I only researched after I made them, unfortunately). Please, others, do not plan to make these for your Easter without practising first, so you can see that in real life they do not look like that picture!

• Natalie, The original source is linked at the bottom of my blog post. Ancika’s kitchen blog. It does take practice to get them just right. Thanks for sharing your tips and comments.

• I have to agree with Natalie. The picture with the shears appears to be from http://www.flickr.com/photos/44546541@N08/5397061211/in/photostream/, not from the blog you have as the source. The blog you have as the source has pictures closer to “gremlins” than the sleek little bunnies on the left. If you took that picture, please give us more detailed instructions on how you made them look like that or link to the source of the photo on the left.

• Abby, thanks for letting me know you tracked the photo to flickr. I thought I had tracked down the actual photo’s source to Ancika (the blogger linked below). She acted as though this was her work and never told me that was not her photo. I don’t really know what to do at this point. I’d like to credit the right person for their photo. But mainly, I was just trying to share what I thought was a really cute idea for Easter rolls. I apologize for the inconvenience and if I do find the right person, I will post that information here at the blog post.

• Melissa Pohl says:

Nicole, after doing seeing this image posted on Facebook: {edited to remove link}, I goggled to find these rolls and found your blog. I just wanted to let you know that in addition to the fact that has already been pointed out that the image of the finished bunnies and the ones being cut with scissors aren’t from the same blog, they aren’t even the same type of food. I did some research, and eventually found that the original finished bunny photo is almost certainly not of bread or rolls, but of Japanese manju (a type of small cookie-like pastry that is a totally different consistency that bread dough, making shaping and molding techniques much easier). I wasn’t able to track down the original source image, but here is another link which shows identical bunnies and {edited to remove link} says that they are in fact Japanese manju bought at a Japanese bakery.
            With this in mind, I’d suggest that you take the manju image out of this blog post and show an image of the actual results one can expect to get with this recipe and kitchen shear ear cutting technique, since it’s become clear that no amount of practice will make these scissor cut rolls look anything like Japanese manju in the first picture you have up now.

• Thanks for sharing all this feedback. I have tried to track down the original recipe for whatever it is in the blog post and have not had any luck. Your search gets me one step closer to figuring out what in the world these bunnies are actually made out of.
            All I can do is suggest that people try making these at their own risk. Some people have better results than others depending on the dough they are using. But I appreciate your words of warning and advice – and hopefully others will read the comments and take yours to heart.

31. Serie Dutertre says:

Just tried this recipe and it was an epic fail as it failed to raise ( i had a feeling it would) so i just changed up the recipe/technique a bit and have had wonderful results : While my sour cream mixture was cooling i proofed my yeast as usual, then added the egg to the cream mixture whisked it all together and added to my dry ingredients. And in this way i also didn’t have to add any more water… Rising like a dream Thanks for the great Idea

32. Where do I find the recipe?

• Recipe was also added to the blog post – here it is for you:
      Ingredients:
      2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
      2 tablespoons sugar
      1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
      1/4 cup water
      2 tablespoons butter
      1 egg
      Directions:
      Put the butter, the sour cream and water in a small saucepan and heat, but do not cook. Cool to tepid then add the remaining ingredients. Put in a kneader. If thick add more water.
      Let it rise double and cut into 16 equal parts.
      Baking tray lined with baking paper and cut the ears with scissors. When the dough is STILL SOFT, Make sure you smooth the edges around, so you do not end up with devil horns.
      The eyes can be put in or use something as pepper grains.
      Bake at 375° for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.

33. Ingrid Fortuin says:

Hi Moms

The recipe for these bunny rolls have disappeared could you please send it to me.

Thanks
    Ingrid

• Here is the recipe that was on the original blog post (I added it back to the post for you – thanks for your request!) Good luck!
      Ingredients:
      2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
      2 tablespoons sugar
      1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
      1/4 cup water
      2 tablespoons butter
      1 egg
      Directions:
      Let it rise double and cut into 16 equal parts.
      The eyes can be put in or use something as pepper grains.
      Bake at 375° for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.

34. stacey g says:

so cute ! def gonna try this!

35. Thanks for linking up to Pinteresting! This pin was featured. Please join us each Thursday for the partY, Clair and Brandy!

36. In the directions, you mention put in a kneader – do you mean transfer all the ingredients into a mixer then use the kneader attachment like on my KitchenAid? Please advise.

37. Priscilla says:

They are adorable! What a fun little surprise to place on the Easter dinner table.

38. The pictures are actually of lemon-filled cookies, but the idea does work on bread :)

39. Laurie Nykaza says:

These are so cute we will have to make this next year. The kids will go crazy over these they look like so much fun to make. Even if the picture is of the other product we can still have fun trying

40. Jo-Ann Brightman says:

Thes rolls are so cute and easy to make. I am glad that you showed this recipe.

41. Jo-Ann Brightman says:

These are adorable and creative. I wonder if one could make the ears shorter and cut whiskers to make a cat.

42. I just think these rolls are the cutest things I ever saw. I will have to make these for the kids, they will love them.

43. These are super cute and easy to make. I’ll just use my own recipe for bread. Thanks!
    Danielle Royalegacy recently posted..Serene Sunday – Adoro Te Devote – August 11, 2013My Profile

44. When I was a kid I didn’t like to eat hard boiled eggs on Easter. This would be a great alternative.

45. Those are cute and Easter is just around the corner again!

46. OMG! I can’t even stand it they’re so cute!!! I’d have to make them gluten free, but geemany, I just want to hug them all! :)

47. Easter bunny rolls

• hope these are easy to make, I haven’t had a lot of success with yeast rolls. could these be made with the freezer type yeast dough? (thawed of course)

• I found out it is kind of difficult to get the ears to work when they bake (they can rise up and look like horns). Yes, you can try the freezer rolls dough. I have done that before. I definitely recommend testing this out before the “big Easter meal” in case the bunnies don’t turn out right. The chef who made the ones in the picture makes it look so easy!

48. very cute,i will be trying to make them for this comeing easter,thank you so much .

49. I’m gonna try with cookie mix!

50. I’m about to surprise my 13 year old with a bunny that she has been wanting for 2 years now since after her last bunny passed on. I’m making these tonight… I hope to let you know how it turned out!!!

51. What a super fun idea. Just in time for Easter. Thanks for sharing the recipe and cute bunny trick :)

52. These are so cute! Pinned for Easter!

53. Wow they look realy cute and easy to make I hope me and my mom can make them for Easter

54. So cute & adorable.

55. So cute and adorable.

56. Hi Nicole,
    I love these bunny rolls! and just wanted to let you know that I’ve featured this project on my website.

57. These are so cute and definitely going on my Easter dinner table! Just wanted to let you know that I have included your post in my Friday Food Finds collection

58. Do you know if these would work out with frozen rolls? Of course you would have to let them thow out first, ???

• I think it should work the same with the frozen dough (once it has thawed and is pliable enough to work with). **Note to anyone else reading this comment, if you have tried it with frozen dough, your feedback would be appreciated!**

59. Just tried to make these … Used my bread dough recipe that I use for Easter bread. Soooooo disappointed … The ears came up and more forward than back … When I cut them, they looked just like the picture … Not so much like the picture once they baked …

60. So cute ! I will make it !!!
    Rose & Pose Highstreet Fashion

61. How do you do the eyes? It says use pepper grains but aren’t they very tiny? Thanks !

62. Original recipe is
    (*comment edited to put the link to the original recipe in the blog post).

• Thank you SO much for leaving the link – I have looked everywhere for that recipe and could not find it. Mystery solved! (after more than a year!) And that is very interesting, too. I had no idea these had pineapple in the middle. Thanks! -Nicole

63. Has anyone had success in making these? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to get the ears to stay down during baking?

64. KAY MAIN says:

After the dough has doubled and you divide the dough and roll into balls, do you let them rise again before snipping with shears or do it right off the bat? Just wondering and wanted to try this out before Sunday so I won’t have a disfuntctional bunny roll on my hands.

65. KAY MAIN says:

Do you let the dough rise a second time before going into the oven and do you cut the ears as soon as you roll dough into a ball and place on pan?

• I’m not sure because I have only seen my MIL do this with frozen dough and I can’t remember if she let it rise again or not. I would think it’s best to wait until ready to bake and then cut them…but I’m just guessing. I’m sorry. I do recommend trying a test roll ahead of time because the ears do tend to bake up and start sticking up. It may take a few tries to get them to look right. Hope that helps a little bit. Good luck!

66. Julie Walker says:

I am trying to find the pastry dough recipe that you said was linked in at the bottom for these. Not finding any links on here for an additional recipe only the recipe that you have listed above in your blog. In the spot where I am assuming it used to be …it says it’s been edited. lol Oh well. :)

• Hi Julie – The link is there at the bottom. Click on the link called “Chinese New Year Pineapple Tarts” and that will take you to the original recipe where you will see a pastry dough recipe about halfway down the page. Let me know if you have any trouble finding it and I’m glad to help out. You can email me at momalwaysfindsout (at)gmail (dot) com

67. The Inspiration picture is a Japanese manju bunny. It was made with a mould and that is why it looks perfect. The DIY kind are really cute and definitely worth trying, but don’t expect them to look the same. To try to get more bunny ears rather than pikachu ears, snip a longer, larger amount from the back of the bunny and shape them before baking. Great recipe, thanks.

68. Diana Davies says:

I wonder if everyone who’s getting gremlins is cutting the ears too much? It looks to me as if only the very tip is actually being cut, and the blades of the scissors are just marking the edges of the ears further down. The scissors are not closed.

Trackbacks

1. [...] Click Here Easter Bunny Shaped Rolls Recipe [...]

2. [...] Easter Bunny Shaped Rolls by Mom Always Finds Out [...]

3. [...] ispod prikazuje kako je ispao originalni recept autora, a na dnu kao i uvijek možete vidjeti moj, ne tako dobar, pokušaj [...]

4. [...] Die Cut Number Set // “A Love Nest” – Love Bird’s in Archway Cake Topper // Bunny Rolls via Mom Always Find Out (great tutorial here too!) // Love Bird Card Holders with Brushed Silver Finish // Omelet Bar via Pinterest //  Laser [...]

5. [...] petits pains différents et un peu rigolos au menu de Pâques. (J’avais vu ce façonnage sur ce blog anglo-saxon il y a quelque temps. Les siens sont beaucoup plus réussis que les miens !). Pour une version plus [...]