DIY Homemade Pinata Paste with Flour (Cooked Method)

929 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 6 Google+ 0 StumbleUpon 697 Pin It Share 226 Email -- 929 Flares ×

Homemade Cooked Pinata Glue Flour Paper Mache

Pinatas can be a very fun craft experience for children. It’s simple to make your own pinata paste with flour. I cook this simple recipe (no fancy cooking skills required, I promise) and use it every time we make a paper mache pinata at home.

What You’ll Need

• Flour
  • Water
  • Salt

Directions

You’ll need enough flour to be able to mix 5 parts of water for every 1 part flour. It’s easiest for me to use a cup measure and do 1 cup flour with 5 cups water.

How To Start:

Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix 1 cup of flour with 1 cup of water until the lumps are gone.

Once the 4 cups of water are boiling, add the separate flour/water mixture to the pot and stir constantly with a silicone spatula while it boils for about 3-5 minutes. The mixture should be smooth and thick like a glue. You can add more flour/water in small amounts if needed to achieve desired consistency. Optional: Add 1-2 Tablespoons of Salt to help prevent mold and stir.

Remove from stove and allow to cool. Once it is at a comfortable temperature, you can use it for your paper mache project.

You can store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator overnight.

DISCLAIMER IMAGE

Comments

1. Jo-Ann Brightman says:

I didn’t realize that the salt heloped prevent mold- what a great idea. Thanks for the recipe. It should be a lot of fun to make

2. Amy Green says:

Any kid who hasn’t gotten to play with a pinata is definitely missing out…I have so many fond memories of attending birthday parties, that featured these!

3. Cool! I didn’t know about this method. Do you have photos of the piñatas you have made? I would love to hear more about this!
    Robin O recently posted..Melissa & Doug Easter Shop and GiveawayMy Profile

4. Clarissa R. says:

This is a great idea! Would love to make my own pinata for my daughters birthday parties. THanks!

5. Michelle F. says:

will be saving this for my daughters bday party

6. Robin Wilson says:

This is just great! I am always trying to find fun projects that I can do with my niece when she comes over! This one will be fun for sure!

7. This looks so easy & natural! I may have to try making my own pinatas for my childrens’ birthdays from now on.

I’ve added this page to my StumbleUpon. :)

8. michelle oakley warner says:

this is so awesome i always wondered how it is done, my kids and i tried to do it with elmers, it didnt come out to well, thanks a bunch for the recipe

9. This is super cool! I know my girls would love to make a pinata – we are a crafty family but we have never tried it! Too late for this year’s birthday but we will just have to come up with some other excuse for a pinata!

10. I just made this and after it sat to cool off it got kind of lumpy. Is that normal and will it still work to make the pinata?