Disclosure: This post is part of the SPLENDA® 365 SWEET SWAPS ™ blogger program by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC. and The Motherhood, who sent me products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are my own, and I hope you enjoy them. #SweetSwaps
Did you know the average American consumes more than 22 teaspoons of sugar a day? That’s more than 3 times the recommended amount for women and double the recommended amount for men. A nutritious way to start your day is with a healthy breakfast. A good breakfast will fill you up without extra calories. Try to include these three types of food in your breakfast:
* High fiber, whole grain foods
* A source of protein
* Fruit (it’s more filling than juice)
4 Tips to Help Make the Switch to Lower Calorie Breakfast Easier
1) Add high fiber cereals to low fiber ones. Gradually increase the ratio of high fiber cereal to low fiber cereal over the course of a couple weeks.
2) Add sweetness without added sugar and calories. Sweeten foods like oatmeal, grapefruit and bran cereal with SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener. It’s safe for the whole family.
3) Look for lower sugar cereals, breakfast bars, yogurt and more.
4) Get less calories from drinks. Nonfat milk and water are good options. If you are making a drink mix, swap a no calorie sweetener for sugar.
Find these tips, recipes and more at SPLENDA.com
It’s easy to reduce the amount of added sugar in just about any of your favorite recipes. You can swap SPLENDA No-Calorie Sweetener for sugar using handy sugar-to-SPLENDA® conversion charts. I found a helpful library of less added sugar recipes at the SPLENDA® website along with cooking and baking tips.
The SPLENDA® brand is sharing 365 ways to swap sugar for SPLENDA® Sweetener products. Visit 365SweetSwaps.com for even more tips and recipes to help you reduce sugar intake and calories all year long.
My #SweetSwaps Recipe Choice
The SPLENDA® Granulated I used to make these Cranberry Orange Muffins can be swapped for sugar cup for cup. That’s a pretty easy conversion for me to remember!
Cranberry Orange Muffins (Recipe from SPLENDA.com)
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
1 1/4 cups SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2/3 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 8 cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with butter-flavored cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Mix SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix buttermilk, melted butter, eggs and orange zest together in a small mixing bowl. Add to flour mixture. Mix gently to combine. Add walnuts and cranberries and stir until just blended.
4. Spoon batter into eight muffin cups. Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Are you looking for ways to cut back on sugar? Have you tried SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener or any of the other SPLENDA® brand products?