Chef Richard Blais is always looking for ways to make main dishes nutritious without sacrificing the taste. He substitutes rich, creamy Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt for ingredients like sour cream, mayonnaise, and cream cheese, to lighten up traditional holiday favorites like this recipe for Acorn Squash Soup with Cranberry & Chorizo.
Acorn Squash Soup
1 whole acorn squash
¼ white onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp celery, chopped
1 ½ quart chicken stock
1/2 cup Dannon Oikos plain Greek nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup whipped yogurt (page 2 for recipe) optional
¼ cup chorizo, crumbled
2 tbsp cranberry canned jelly
3 leaves cilantro
1 tsp smoked paprika
Pomegranate seeds for garnish
Lime for garnish
1. In a stockpot, cook the onion, bay leaf, garlic and celery in some olive oil until garlic releases aroma.
2. Add the chopped acorn squash and then the chicken stock and simmer. When the acorn squash is cooked, swirl in Dannon Oikos plain Greek nonfat yogurt and remove from the heat.
3. In a separate pan, cook the chorizo and paprika.
4. When the squash is cooked thoroughly, purée the soup and pass through a sieve so it is smooth.
5. Garnish with the crumbled chorizo, the cilantro, pomegranate seeds, a squirt of lime and cover with the whipped yogurt, or alternatively just add a dollop of Dannon Oikos plain Greek nonfat yogurt.