I love Southern comfort foods like homemade macaroni and cheese. A cousin from Alabama passed along this Baked Macaroni and Cheese recipe to everyone in our family. We just couldn’t get enough of it over the holidays.
My kids love to eat this easy mac and cheese recipe. It’s so much tastier than any boxed version could ever hope to be. I make a 9×13 casserole dish of mac and cheese so we have plenty of leftovers. It’s still just as good reheated in the microwave. You can use shredded cheese from a bag, but I prefer to buy block cheese and use a cheese grater to make my own grated cheese.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb box of Penne pasta
- 4 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese, grated
- 4 cups Half-and-Half
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook Penne pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- In a bowl, mix the Sharp Cheddar Cheese with the Colby Jack Cheese. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the Half-and-Half with the eggs.
- In the 9×13 baking dish, LAYER 1: Half of the cooked Penne pasta. LAYER 2: Half of the cheeses. LAYER 3: Half of the egg/half-and-half mixture. Repeat the layers.
- Drizzle the top of the layers with the melted butter. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until the middle is bubbly. Remove dish from oven and allow to sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Do you love Mac and Cheese? Let me know what you think if you try my recipe!