Something about reading the book If You Give a Moose a Muffin to my kids the other night combined with the huge box of fresh blueberries in my refrigerator started a major blueberry muffin craving for me. This recipe makes extra large blueberry muffins that taste like they came from the bakery. The fresh blueberries burst out of these big muffins and the crumb topping adds an extra layer of delicious!
Homemade Blueberry Muffins Recipe
(Makes 18 Large Muffins)
- 3 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 2/3 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk or buttermilk
- 2 and 1/4 cups fresh blueberries *add more berries if you love tons of berries in your muffins
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine 3 1/3 cups flour, 1 2/3 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a bowl; add the eggs and milk. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
- To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1 cup and 2T sugar, 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 T and 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking. *I used half of these amounts and had plenty of topping.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.