I started making this Chicken Pesto Pasta recipe years ago. I remember when I first found it in a Taste of Home magazine. It was one of the first pasta dishes I had ever made in my life. I was so proud of myself for making something that tasted good (or better) than a restaurant. Yes, I truly believe it is that delicious! The best part is that my family loves it as much as I do. Even though it is quick and easy to make in 30 minutes, people will think you spent all day in the kitchen.
Chicken Pesto Pasta is one of those good pasta recipes you’ll make again and again. I like to serve it with breadsticks and a salad. It is the perfect way to use homemade pesto, but of course you can always use store-bought pesto. Definitely give this a try!
slightly adapted from Taste of Home
- 1 package (16 ounces) bow tie pasta
- 1-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken (Tip: Use a premade rotisserie chicken from the store if you don’t have time to cook the chicken)
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 2 jars (3-1/2 ounces each) prepared pesto
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and red pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Reduce heat; stir in the chicken, artichokes, pesto, tomatoes, and salt. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through.
3. Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese..
Note: The original version uses fresh asparagus and sundried tomatoes, which is a great way to add veggies to this healthy pasta recipe. We like this with asparagus, but it is still very good without it when asparagus is not in season. I like it with about half the recommended sundried tomatoes, but my kids do not like them, so I usually leave those out, too.
Do you have a favorite pasta recipe? Let me know what you think about Chicken Pesto Pasta, especially if you make this recipe at home.