I love to bake cookies, especially at holiday time. This classic Gingersnaps recipe is just like what grandma used to make, which means they taste so much better than anything you can buy at the store. Warm gingersnap cookies fresh from the oven is a holiday tradition we can’t do without.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
optional: 1/2 cup white sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 cup of sugar together until smooth. Beat in the egg and molasses until well blended. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into the molasses mixture to form a dough. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Optional: roll the cookie dough balls in the remaining sugar before placing on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
These cookies taste delicious with my homemade pumpkin pie dip.
What are your favorite holiday cookies? Do you bake a lot this time of year? Have you tried homemade gingersnaps?