Valentine’s Day is a great time to surround yourself with things that make you happy. This Valentine’s Day, try one or all of my favorite tips from my new book, The Painted Home by Dena to instantly transform your master bedroom into a romantic retreat.
1. Pillows soften any space – especially the bedroom. If you’ve had the same tired pillows piled up on your bed for years, now is the time to make a change. I love to make “collage” pillows that reflect my personality. Gather up pieces of fabrics you love – I’m a fan of layering patterns and colors – so almost anything will work together. Pin the pieces together to fit your pillow form and then sew into one large piece of fabric. Follow standard sewing directions for making a pillow (easily found online).
2. Every bedroom should contain a bit of fantasy. Whether your escape is a French Island in the Caribbean or a view of the ocean, find a piece of art or a painting that transports you to a tranquil place and hang on the wall where you can see it while relaxing in bed.
3. Hide the electronics! There is nothing that kills romance like ESPN! Re-purpose a piece of furniture, or visit a local flea market and find an old armoire to house your television.
4. Add whimsical tassels to your drapes, or hang from the knobs on your armoire or dresser. It instantly adds a little mystique and romance to the bedroom.
5. A pastel palette is soothing and will complement a range of colors and styles in bedding, curtains and other fabrics. For instance, here is a table I covered with a skirt made out of a curtain (a vintage tablecloth or other fabric would also work.)
6. Fresh flowers are the perfect way to add instant color and often a lovely fragrance to any space. Almost any container can be used as a vase for fresh-cut flowers. If the container won’t hold water, line it with a small plastic container that will.
7. Paint a drab wall. Don’t be afraid to try something new! Part of the charm of a hand-painted wall is that it’s NOT perfect. If you make a mistake, there’s always more paint! For my step by step instructions on hand painting a wall visit DIY Painted Walls.
8. A bed canopy instantly adds a romantic, princess-y feel to any bedroom. Add flowing, sheer drapes and your bed will become the perfect romantic oasis for Valentine’s Day.
9. Repurpose a beautiful piece of embroidery or needlepoint to cover a pillow, or frame and hang on the wall.
10. The right lighting makes all the difference! A beautiful crystal chandelier casts a wonderful light on any space. Hang above the bed or above the bathtub and watch the sparks fly!
Thanks To: Home Design Expert Dena of Dena Designs (www.denadesigns.com) is an internationally acclaimed design DIY artist, bestselling author of “The Painted Home”, TV home design expert (DIY Network) and creator of popular home products found in over 15,000 retail outlets worldwide including Neiman Marcus, Dillard’s, Lord & Taylor, Bed Bath and Beyond, Buy Buy Baby and more.
Dena’s talent has gained the love and attention of consumers because of her colorful patterns, embellishments and hand paintings. Her motto — “surround yourself with things you love!”