A Halloween Countdown Chalkboard Pumpkin is a fun way to help the kids count down the days til Trick or Treat night! Magically turn any color of craft pumpkin into a black chalkboard pumpkin with chalkboard spray paint.
My kids love to countdown the days to all sorts of special events and occasions from birthdays to Christmas to vacations. This year, we will be counting down the days to Halloween with a little help from a cute chalkboard pumpkin.
I have several orange and white craft pumpkins that I use every year to decorate for Halloween and Fall. Recently, I saw some premade chalkboard pumpkins at the store and was about to buy them when I realized all it would take to give my old ones a whole new look is a little bit of paint.
I went home and gave an orange craft pumpkin a quick and easy chalkboard spray paint makeover. It turned out great! My DIY chalkboard pumpkin works just as well as the premade kind. I can write on it and easily erase it to say whatever I want it to say.
Halloween Countdown Chalkboard Pumpkin
Project Time: 10 minutes (not counting paint dry time)
- Craft Pumpkin (any size works, but note that medium to large pumpkins are easier to write on with chalk)
- Black Chalkboard Spray Paint
1. Spray paint a craft pumpkin with a layer of black chalkboard spray paint (use spray paint according to the directions on the can.) Allow paint to dry completely in between coats. Apply a second layer of black chalkboard spray paint and allow to dry for 24 hours.
2. “Prime” your chalkboard pumpkin by rubbing a piece of chalk all over it. Use a soft cloth to gently erase the chalk rubbings. This will give your pumpkin a realistic chalkboard look.
3. Use chalk to write on your chalkboard pumpkin. For a Halloween Countdown, I put [*Insert New Number Daily*] Days til Halloween.
Of course, if your pumpkin is already a chalkboard pumpkin, you can skip all the painting part and get right to the Halloween Countdown lettering. I hope you enjoy counting down the days until Halloween using your chalkboard pumpkin.