I think I have it figured out: THE SECRET to baking delicious homemade rolls. And I’ll share it with you right now. Use a bread machine to make your dough. Yes, can you believe it is really such a simple answer? Years of failed attempts and crying over spilt flour when my rolls turned out to be a doughy disaster finally paid off today. My honey wheat rolls bread machine recipe baked perfectly fluffy, delicious rolls. You can make them big or small – I made HUGE.
By the way, these pair perfectly with my homemade honey butter.
Honey Wheat Rolls Bread Machine Recipe
Makes a dozen large rolls or 24 small rolls.
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
1. Put all of the “wet” ingredients into your bread machine first. Add the flour. Make an indention in the flour and add the yeast. Add the salt (not in the indention with the yeast). Set your bread machine to the Dough cycle and turn on.
2. Once your bread machine’s Dough cycle is finished, tear off a piece of dough and shape into rolls. *I try not to handle the dough too much – the rolls don’t need to be perfectly round. Allow rolls to rise on a greased cookie sheet for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 9-11 minutes for large rolls. Bake 7-10 minutes for small rolls.