Do you do a great job of keeping your snacks under control during the day, only to find yourself loading up on the snacks at night? You are not alone! Lots of us find it easier to stick with our diets all day long. The real challenges seem to come at night, when the temptation to snack hits us full force!
Dr. Wayne Scott Anderson, founder of Take Shape For Life and author of Dr. A’s Habits of Health: The path to permanent Weight Control and Optimal Health offers these tips for How To Avoid Late Night Snacking.
1. Change the evening activity that you usually do…if you normally watch TV after dinner, go outside and take a walk or play a match of tennis, garden…just change up the old routine.
2. Go to bed earlier and tape your shows to watch at a completely different time, like Saturday morning.
3. Brush your teeth after your last meal and call it a night.
4. Write down the reasons you are Taking Shape; to have more energy, live longer, feel better, get into great shape, etc.
5. You need to decide how important it is to you and what you are willing to do (secondary choices) to reach your goal (for example: no alcohol, no desserts, stick with program, start walking daily, etc)
It made seem like such a small thing, but Tip #3 about brushing your teeth after your last meal has really helped me avoid late night snacking more than once! There’s something about the taste of toothpaste and mouthwash that gets rid of my desire to eat and drink anything else, at least for a little while.
How do you avoid late night snacking? Which tips do you plan to try? Please feel free to share your thoughts with us in the comments section.