Today I am going to share a little secret: How to make caramel apples the easy way using melted caramel candies. Homemade caramel apples are a fun Fall tradition. If you are planning any parties, you may want to set up a DIY Caramel Apple Bar. Those are always a big hit with adults and kids. I have a few tips to share about caramel apple bars – so be sure to read on after the recipes.
How to make Caramel Apples. Basic Directions.
- 5 Apples
- Caramels (14 oz bag)
- 2 T water
- Wooden sticks or cake pop sticks (1 per apple)
- Optional: Toppings
1. Wash and dry apples. Push sticks into the apples.
2. Melt caramels and water in a crock pot or double boiler, stirring occasionally. If you stir constantly, you can melt caramels in a large saucepan on medium-low heat. You must stir constantly so the caramel does not burn on the pan.
3. Once the caramels are completely melted, hold an apple by the stick and dip into the melted caramel. Let the excess caramel drip off.
4. Place caramel-dipped apples (stick side up) on a wax paper or parchment-lined baking sheet or use Silpat (silicone) liners on a baking sheet. Allow caramel to cool, unless you are adding toppings. You can place apples in the refrigerator to cool for faster results. *See topping directions below.
You must add toppings to your caramel-dipped apples before the caramel cools. Either dip the apples in toppings or sprinkle toppings on top of them. Allow to caramel apples to cool.
Caramel apples can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. They are easier to eat in slices.
Caramel Apple Topping Ideas.
It is really fun to make your caramel apples even prettier and more delicious with toppings. I tried a couple of different combinations this year. A caramel covered green apple with Red Hot cinnamon candies is a nice flavor combo if you like a little bit of spice!
Then I got a little fancy and double dipped a few apples – first, caramel; second, chocolate. And then covered them with mini Reese’s Pieces peanut butter candies. Those were sweet (and delicious)!
How would you cover your caramel apples? I made a list of 15 caramel apple toppings to help inspire you. A fun fall party idea is to have a DIY caramel apple bar. Put a stick in each apple so they are ready to dip in melted caramel sitting in a crock pot to keep it warm. Set out bowls with different types of toppings that everyone can use to create their very own gourmet caramel apple.
2. Chopped Snickers
3. Chopped Peanuts
4. Chopped Pecans
5. Crushed Pretzels
6. Mini Marshmallows
7. White Chocolate Chips
8. Chocolate Chocolate Chips
9. Butterscotch Chips
10. Red Hot Candies
11. Reese’s Pieces
12. Chopped Butterfingers
13. Toffee Bits
14. Crushed Graham Crackers
And in case you were wondering, yes, making caramel apples is a sticky business. It takes longer to clean up the kitchen than it does to make the apples. It’s a good thing homemade caramel apples are so fun to make and fun to eat. This is a great fall tradition idea – it is definitely something we look forward to every year. (Minus the mess.)
Don’t miss out on recipes like this and a lot more – follow me on Pinterest.
What is your favorite fall activity? Do you like caramel apples? Are you making homemade caramel apples this year?