This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Corning®. The opinions and text are all mine. #GorillaGlass
There are two types of summer slides. The first kind is the fun playground slide kids know and love. The second kind refers to kids’ summer learning loss. Over the school break, students can forget a lot of what they learned and fall out of practice with academic skills. The good news is that this kind of “Summer Slide” can be prevented through reading and other educational activities.
I have kids, so I know it can be a struggle to try to get them to take a break from play time for summer learning. The trick is to make educational activities fun and exciting. We love technology at our house, and my kids get really excited when they are allowed to use a tablet. Tablets can be an effective educational tool at home – and a great way to beat the Summer Slide. Our Acer Iconia Tab 10 gives us access to endless online educational resources.
How to Pick a Tablet For Kids to Use
A couple of the main factors I look for in a kids tablet are durability and functionality. No matter how careful we are with our tablet, accidental drops are going to happen. A tablet with a Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4 Display is a great choice for kids because it Corning’s toughest cover glass to date. I feel a lot better handing over a tablet to my kids knowing that Gorilla Glass 4 is better able to withstand drops – even on rough surfaces like asphalt and concrete.
My kids are awesome at doing what we call “goobering up the screen” with messy fingers. Luckily, the Gorilla Glass 4 on the Iconia Tab 10 also comes with an anti-fingerprint coating to help keep the screen looking clean. Lastly, the Acer Iconia Tab 10 screen also uses Zero Air Gap technology for a better on-screen viewing experience.
1. Reading. Kids need to read every single day. A tablet gives your child access to thousands of ebooks, digital magazines and newspapers. They can download and read their favorite books and series anywhere. The tablet comes preloaded with the free Kindle app and iStorytime.
2. Educational Websites for Kids. Learning has no limits at educational websites like PBS Kids, National Geographic Kids, Discovery Kids, Cool Math and Whyville. Kids can play learning games, do online worksheets, watch videos and much more. It’s so much fun, kids won’t even realize they are learning something.
3. Movies and TV Shows. Many of the websites mentioned above offer a variety of educational videos for kids of all ages. My family has a Netflix subscription which lets us access educational TV shows for younger kids as well as educational movies and documentaries for older kids. YouTube can also be a great free resource for educational videos. Let your kids go on a virtual “field trip” by typing “Videos about [insert your destination} into the search engine and watching one of the video results. It’s probably the only way my kids will ever “visit” China!
4. Educational Apps. It is easy to search and find free and paid educational apps for kids. On our Acer (Android) tablet, I go to the Play Store and type in “Educational For Kids” and an instantly selection of kid-friendly Apps, Books, Movies & TV, Music and Magazines pops up.
5. Online Summer Camp. Kids can find and participate in summer camps from home with their tablet. Find out your child’s interests and see if you can find an online camp program that looks like fun for them. I have researched and found online summer camps that offer DIY and craft projects, coding, STEM, reading programs and more.
About the Acer Iconia Tab 10 (MSRP $249.99)
The Acer Iconia Tab 10 is a rock star when it comes to meeting my family’s entertainment needs. We love the 10.1 inch screen with full HD Display (1920 x 1200 resolution) and a Dolby sound system. It is awesome for watching movies and gaming. The screen colors are bright, the images are sharp and the sound is realistic. We can even share movies to a bigger screen using an HDMI cable.
We can even take photos and videos like a pro using the 5MP rear-facing Full HD camera that captures 1080p video and a 2MP front-facing HD webcam captures 720p.
A tablet is one of the most portable educational tools your child can use. Tablets makes learning possible even when you are on-the-go. My kids use the tablet to read, play games and watch movies while we travel. It’s a great way to pass the time on a long trip in the car or plane.
The Acer Iconia Tab 10 is comfortable for kids and adults to hold and weighs only 1. 2 pounds. And because the screen uses Gorilla Glass 4, I worry less when the kids accidentally bump and drop the tablet. Let’s face it, the accidental drops are going to happen, so it is good to pick a tablet that is designed to take it.
My kids love summer learning on their tablet. In fact, they have started ASKING to use the tablet to play their favorite educational apps and watch videos. I think we may have this Summer Slide thing beat!
How do you prevent the Summer Slide? Does your child have a tablet? What are your favorite educational websites, games and apps? Let us know in the comments.
Corning® Gorilla® Glass has been used on more than 3 billion devices from 40 major brands. Is it on yours? Click here to find out
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Corning®. The opinions and text are all mine.