I love my new Taste of Home Best Loved Recipes cookbook. It seems like every recipe in there is a winner! Lately, I have tried to serve at least one or two meatless meals per week. This recipe for Mexican Egg Casserole from Taste of Home is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I have even eaten it leftover and it tastes just as good. Serve it with salsa or without, it’s a crowd pleaser.
Mexican Egg Casserole
Prep Time: 15 minutes Bake Time: 45 minutes Serves: 8
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Salsa, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add the eggs, 3-1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, tomatoes, chilies, onions, hot pepper sauce, oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired.