This recipe for delicious Homemade Egg Nog comes from one of my favorite new cookbooks: Taste of Home Best Loved Recipes: 1485 Favorites from the World’s #1 Food & Entertaining Magazine. Your friends and family will love this egg nog. Just one taste is enough to show this isn’t the store bought kind!
Yield: 3-1/2 quarts
Prep: 50 min. + chilling
- 12 eggs
- 1-½ cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts whole milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional nutmeg, optional
1. In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 1 qt. of milk. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°-170°, about 30-35 minutes.
2. Pour into a large heatproof bowl; stir in the vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently until mixture is cool. If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
3. When ready to serve, beat cream in a large bowl on high until soft peaks form; whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. Pour into a chilled 5-qt. punch bowl. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.
Editor’s Note: Eggnog may be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for several days. Whisk before serving.