You know I’m a fan of any recipe that is easy to make and delicious – this recipe is both! This Chicken and Rice dish freezes well, so if you make a double recipe you can have one to eat now and one to pull out later when you don’t feel like cooking. I call this Not Just Chicken and Rice Casserole because…it’s not just plain chicken and rice, the green beans and other veggies really help make this a well-rounded dinner all in one dish.
Not Just Chicken and Rice Casserole
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 4 ounce jar pimentos
- 1 8 ounce can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans French Cut green beans, drained
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 6 ounce box long-grain wild rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1 6 ounce box chicken flavored rice mix, cooked (*I cooked the long grain and chicken flavored rice together)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
Add all remaining ingredients to bowl and mix together until thoroughly combined.
Tips and Notes: Be sure the soup and mayo is stirred together well (it may be helpful to mix those 2 together before combining with the other ingredients). I did not use all of the cooked rice mixture- I took out about 1.5 cups before mixing the rice with other ingredients.
Pour into a greased 3-quart casserole dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
(This recipe was modified by me from a Chicken and Rice Casserole recipe by Paula Deen.)