One thing I love about summer is that we can enjoy eating outdoors. But I don’t enjoy eating outdoors when uninvited guests show up…and I’m not talking about the neighbor kids. I’m talking about bugs, flies, gnats, mosquitoes, ants and any other insect that tries to attack my food table.
I don’t want to use bug spray around our food, so I am trying out natural ways to keep bugs away. Check out the tips below. Let me know if you have another idea for me to try.
- We know citronella candles can keep bugs away, so it just makes sense that using real citrus can do the same. Scatter orange and lemon peels around the food table as a natural insect repellent.
- Plant marigolds. Marigolds are pretty flowers that are commonly used to keep bugs and pests away.
- Set out dishes of sugar water in an area away from the food table. Mosquitoes will be attracted to these sweet spots instead of your plate.
- Cover your food and drinks. Bugs especially love anything that is sweet and sugary like fruits and soda.
- Use a fan to create a breeze. This helps reduce the number of bugs in your eating area.
Now that we have taken care of our potential pest problems, we can talk about what to eat at our summer barbeque. I have eaten many a pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw on top of it. Somehow it never occurred to me to try a hamburger that way. Until now. This MIRACLE WHIP Slaw Burger recipe takes slaw from a side dish to a main dish by putting it right on top of the burger.
And just wait til you hear what we’re using IN the burgers… MIRACLE WHIP. That’s right, add MIRACLE WHIP to your beef before shaping it into patties. Then grill them up for great-tasting, juicy burgers.
MIRACLE WHIP CABBAGE AND PINEAPPLE SLAW BURGERS
- 2 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 cup MIRACLE WHIP Dressing
- 1 pkg. ( 14 oz.) cabbage slaw blend
- 1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple, (drained)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tsp Sriracha sauce (hot chili sauce)
- 8 hamburger buns
How to make:
- HEAT grill to medium heat.
- MIX meat, garlic powder and 1/4 cup dressing just until blended; shape into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. Grill 5 to 6 min. on each side or until done (160ºF).
- COMBINE remaining dressing with all remaining ingredients except buns.
- FILL buns with burgers and coleslaw.
For more ideas on how to ensure your salads, dips and sandwiches don’t go unnoticed, visit MiracleWhip.com
MIRACLE WHIP and Proud of It