One of the most ingenius Thanksgiving cooking tips I have ever heard is to use slow cookers to help keep the oven free for big things like…the turkey! Sweet potatoes are easy to bake in your slow cooker. Time them just right so they can be served fresh and warm alongside the rest of your holiday meal.
I get more excited about Thanksgiving side dishes than I do about the turkey! Sweet potatoes have always been one of my favorites. Even though they taste sweet enough to eat all by themselves, at holiday time I like to indulge by adding a little bit of butter and brown sugar. These slow cooker sweet potatoes are ready to eat in about six hours.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar
- 4-5 large sweet potatoes (washed, peeled and cut into approximately 1 inch sized pieces)
- 3 tsp corn starch
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 Tablespoons butter (cut into pieces)
1. Butter the sides of your crock pot.
2. Add sweet potatoes.
3. Combine sugar, corn starch and sea salt in a bowl and mix well. Sprinkle over the tops of the sweet potatoes. Top with pieces of butter.
4. Cook on Low setting for 6 hours.
5. The brown sugar will caramelize (that’s a good thing!). Sweet potatoes will be very tender and easy to mash with a hand masher or hand mixer as desired. I like mashed sweet potatoes, but of course you can serve this dish without mashing them if you prefer.
Have you ever made crock pot sweet potatoes? What is your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?