There is something cute and irresistible about cupcakes. I thought that a fun summer flavor combo of real strawberries and lemon would make a great-tasting cupcake, and it did! Do you think Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes sound yummy? I am happy to share the recipes I used with you.
Make your lemon cupcakes from scratch using an easy, delicious recipe like the one I found posted at The Alchemist. You can make a lemon cake from a box, but lemon cupcakes made with fresh lemons are worth the extra effort. This would be a great way to use frozen lemons in my freezer.
The Strawberry frosting is literally the icing on this cupcake. It takes just a few extra minutes to make homemade strawberry frosting, but the end result will get you raves. It is made with real strawberries (no gelatin, no artificial strawberry flavorings).
Strawberry Icing Recipe made with Real Strawberries
Makes enough frosting for 24 cupcakes and then some.
- 1 cup frozen or fresh Strawberries (if using frozen, allow to thaw)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2-3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Puree strawberries in a blender until smooth.
2. Put strawberry puree in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until strawberries are reduced by about half. This takes about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
3. In a separate bowl, beat one cup of butter with one cup of confectioner’s sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add half of the strawberry puree and the vanilla to the sugar/butter mixture and mix until blended.
5. Add the remaining half of the strawberry puree and 1 one cup of confectioner’s sugar to the mixture. Mix until blended.
6. Add half a cup to a whole cup of confectioner’s sugar to the mixture and mix (adding sugar in small amounts) until your icing is the desired consistency.
The real strawberry icing that results tastes very berry-like and pairs perfectly with the lemon cupcakes to make Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes. Perfect for serving at spring/summer parties and baby showers.
As one of the Good Cook Kitchen Expert bloggers, I receive different Good Cook products for my review from time to time. I recently received assorted Good Cook fruit and vegetable keepers, including one shaped like a lemon. It just so happens that the Lemon Keeper is the perfect size for a cupcake! I put strawberry cupcakes inside the Lemon Keeper to make a simple and cute gift idea and/or party favor. What do you think?
Do you like this Strawberry-Lemon flavor combo? Have you baked cupcakes from scratch before? What are your favorite cupcake flavor combinations?