My bathtub could be the poster child for “ring around the bathtub”. My little boys like to take a bath in my tub because it is extra deep and they love to practice their swimming moves at bath time. Then we let the water out, leaving a line of dirt and grime all the way around the tub. It builds up fast and usually requires a lot of scrubbing on my part to remove. Until I found this miracle homemade tub and shower cleaner recipe.
This 2-ingredient tub cleaner recipe has been “out there” for awhile, and I finally got around to trying it (back in June) and am finally getting around to sharing it with you – I actually have lots of new cleaning tips and even a homemade laundry detergent recipe I will be posting here soon.
You are going to love this tub/shower cleaner though. I promise. It easily cuts through layers upon layers of grimy film and leaves your tub and shower sparkling clean. The best part is how easy it is to make with non-toxic grocery store ingredients. Stuff you probably already have right now at home.
What You’ll Need:
- White Vinegar
- Dawn dishwashing liquid (the blue kind).
- A spray bottle
How To Make:
1. Heat 1.5 cups of vinegar until very hot, almost boiling.
2. Carefully pour the hot vinegar into a spray bottle and add 12 ounces (1.5 cups) Dawn dishwashing liquid.
3. Shake it up until mixed.
How To Use:
1. Spray the tub and shower area with the Vinegar/Dawn mixture until the entire surface area is coated.
2. Allow the cleaner to work its magic for 10-20 minutes.
3. Use a cleaning cloth to wipe down the tub/shower area. Dirt and grime should wipe off easily. Rinse tub/shower area thoroughly with water.
Every time I use this DIY cleaner, I am amazed with the results. My tub gets filthy because of the kids, and I normally have to scrub and scrub and scrub to get it all clean. Now that I use the Vinegar/Dawn, it cuts right through the dirt so it wipes off as easy as anything. The rinsing part at the end can get a bit sudsy (because of Dawn’s soap bubble action) but everything quickly rinses away, leaving a squeaky clean tub. This recipe is a keeper for sure!
Have you ever cleaned your tub and shower with a Dawn/Vinegar mixture? Try this homemade cleaner recipe for yourself and let me know how well it works for you.