I have been saving all our tin cans from soups, fruits and vegetables lately. And I have been looking for fun upcycling ideas for tins cans. This upcycled tin can pencil holder was inspired by this easy-to-make teacher gift idea I recently posted.
These cans are the perfect size to hold pens and pencils. I started out making them for back-to-school teacher gifts and quickly realized these could organize our pens and pencils at home, too. I will be making some of these for the kids’ homework station.
- Tin Cans
- Spray Paint
- Labels (I found these chalkboard labels at our dollar store)
- Colored pencils (or whatever you want to put inside the finished project)
How to make:
- Remove label from tin can. Wash and dry can thoroughly.
- Spray paint the outside of the can and allow to dry completely.
- Add a label (or stickers, vinyl and any other decoration as desired)
Your upcycled tin can is ready to hold pencils, pens and/or markers. It’s nice to have a place to put away our pens, pencils and other art supplies. I especially love that this craft is nearly free to make. I had spray paint on hand and the labels were $1 for a whole package of 24! I try to buy school supplies like colored pencils when they are on sale for cheap at the beginning of every school year.
Have you ever thought about how to upcycle your tin cans? What is your favorite homemade teacher gift idea? How do you organize your pens, pencils and markers?