Winter is cold. Winter is dry. Winter can wreak complete havoc on your hair! Avoid dry as straw hair and keep your hair looking beautiful this winter with these simple winter hair care tips.
1. Keep your hair covered. Wear a loose-fitting scarf, hat or cap anytime your hair will be exposed to cold and wind.
2. Skip the daily shampoo. Washing your hair removes valuable oils that keep your hair and scalp healthy. Shampoo every 2-3 days
3. Avoid HOT WATER, which can also damage your hair. Wash your hair in warm to cool water instead. Another alternative is to use a dry shampoo.
4. Condition daily.
5. Limit the use of heat on your hair, including hair dryers, flat irons, and curling irons. If you must use these items, be sure to use a leave-in conditioner before styling.
6. Never go outside with wet hair – it can freeze and break!
7. Got static? Try using a natural boar’s bristle hair brush to decrease static. You could also try spraying your hair with Anti-Static Hair Spray.
8. Avoid chemical hair treatments including perms and anything with peroxide and ammonia. If you must color your hair, try highlights or lowlights on just a few strands.
9. Avoid hair products with alcohol that can dry out your hair. In fact, the fewer ingredients in all of your hair products – and the more natural ingredients – the better for your hair!
10. Drink lots of water.
11. Get hair trimmed regularly to get rid of dry, split ends and maintain a healthy appearance.
What are some of your favorite ways to care for your winter hair? Do you have any tried and true products and/or tips that work to share with us? Please, do tell in the comments section below!