You are NOT going to believe the secret ingredient in this delicious chocolate cake recipe.
Miracle Whip. Yes, that Miracle Whip. The kind you are used to using on sandwiches, in salads, and now, cakes.
I could not believe it myself at first. MIRACLE WHIP in a chocolate cake? That was definitely a dessert recipe I had to try out for myself.
I enjoy bringing desserts to my family’s holiday gatherings. And I’m always game to try new dessert recipes, especially ones involving chocolate. Heavenly Chocolate Cake is going to make a special appearance at this year’s Thanksgiving dessert table. I can’t wait to tell everyone about the surprise ingredient (it’s MIRACLE WHIP!).
You can bake this cake in a 13×9 dish or do what I did, and make the Triple Layer Cake as directed below.
Note: I needed to make double the chocolate frosting recipe so I would have enough to cover all three layers. I definitely recommend making a double batch of chocolate cream cheese frosting if you bake the triple layer version of this cake.
The addition of MIRACLE WHIP makes this easy cake recipe bake up into a delicious and moist chocolatey cake.
Heavenly Chocolate Cake Recipe
PREP TIME: 20 min. | TOTAL TIME: 55 min.
MAKES: 16 servings
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 pkg. (2-layer size) chocolate cake mix (not pudding in the mix variety)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 cup MIRACLE WHIP Dressing
- 4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1. HEAT oven to 350° F.
2. SPRAY 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray. Coat with flour; set aside. Stir cake mix and 1/2 cup cocoa in large mixing bowl. Add eggs, water and dressing; beat with mixer until well blended. Pour into prepared pan.
3. BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
4. BEAT cream cheese, milk and vanilla with mixer until well blended. Gradually add combined powdered sugar and remaining cocoa, beating well after each addition. Spread over cake.
**HOW TO MAKE A TRIPLE LAYER CAKE**
1. GREASE AND FLOUR 3 (9-inch) round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper. Prepare cake batter as directed; pour evenly into prepared pans. Bake at 350° F 20 to 23 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
TIP: Double frosting recipe. Fill and frost cake layers with prepared frosting.
TIP: HOW TO TEST CAKE FOR DONENESS
To prevent over-baking, check cakes or cupcakes at the minimum baking time indicated in recipe. Insert a toothpick in center of cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If it does not come out clean, return to the over for a few additional minutes before rechecking.
Once my cake was done, I piped a white icing tree and added a few autumn-colored candies. It was a super fast and easy way to make the cake a bit more festive for Fall! This Heavenly Chocolate Cake Recipe and other awesome Fall and holiday menu ideas can also be found at www.MiracleWhip.com