How To Make a Sponge Ball originally appeared on Mom Always Finds Out three summers ago. Sponge balls are STILL some of our favorite water toys.
Sponge balls (also called sponge bombs) are a cheap and easy craft for kids to make. If you haven’t made sponge balls yet, this is a summer idea you have got to try.
My kids love to pelt each other with these squishy sponge balls. It’s a fun way to keep the kids cool and active outside on a hot summer day. If you don’t have a pool, simply fill up a bucket or large tote container with water so kids can dip and “reload” the sponge balls with water. A baby size swimming pool works great, too.
DIY: How To Make a Sponge Ball
We had a kids pirate birthday party and the sponge balls worked great for the kids water games. I made at least a dozen sponge balls so there were plenty to go around. The kids had fun playing a game they made up called “Water Wars” and nobody got hurt.
How To Make a Sponge Ball
- 3 Sponges (NOT the kind with a rough scrubby side…ouch!)
- A Rubberband or hair elastic
- Use scissors to cut the sponge into equal pieces lengthwise. Repeat with the other two sponges. *Note: The sponges I used measure 4.7 x 2.5 x .6 inches. I cut them into 4 equal pieces. If your sponge is larger, you can cut it into as many equal length pieces as possible.
- Lay the strips on top of each other in three layers, in equally numbered layers. I had 3 layers of 4 strips and chose to mix up the colors in the layers.
- Cinch the layers tightly across the middle with a rubberband or hair elastic.
- Shape into a ball by fluffing the pieces outward.
See other fun diy craft ideas and more when you follow me on Pinterest.
Another fun outdoor activity for kids is giant bubbles! See our giant bubble wand in action and get our favorite homemade bubbles recipe.
Make a super cool Bubble Snake Bubble Blower the kids will play with for hours! All you need is an empty plastic water bottle and a sock.