How to make candy leis. Jelly bean necklaces are a simple candy craft to make for kids party favors, Easter baskets, or anytime you want to have sweet fun.
Once I figured out how easy it is to make candy necklaces, I began finding all sorts of ways to use them. So far, I have made blue and gold candy leis for Cub Scouts, jelly bean candy leis, and Peeps Easter candy leis. I am working on more lei ideas, too – so be sure to watch for me to share lei tutorials with you in upcoming blog posts.
Today, I will start with an easy candy lei tutorial. We will be making a jelly bean lei. Besides a bag of jelly beans, you only need a few basic supplies that you probably already have around the house. It takes about 5 minutes to make each candy lei necklace.
How to Make Candy Leis (Jelly Bean necklace)
1. On a flat surface, unroll a length of plastic cling wrap. I used about about a yard (3 feet) long.
2. Place small handfuls of jelly beans on the cling wrap, about 2 inches apart, all the way down the length of the cling wrap.
3. Fold the cling wrap over the jelly beans, being careful to keep the groups separated. Fold the cling wrap over again so that no jelly beans can come out of the cling wrap.
4. Tie curling ribbon (about 6-8 inches long) in between each group of jelly beans and use the scissors to curl.
5. Add a length of curling ribbon (several inches long) to one end of the candy lei. This will be used to tie to the other end of the candy lei to make it a complete circle, so it can be worn as a necklace.
Jelly beans make a colorful candy lei. I used one of these jelly bean leis as an Easter basket handle. Visit my other blog post to see how I made an edible Easter basket craft. See how I used marshmallow Peeps and tulle to make Easter Peeps necklaces.
What kinds of candy would you put in your candy leis?