Looking for Valentine’s Day wreath ideas? This whimsical pinwheel wreath is easy to make, even for beginning crafters! Thank you to our friends at Oriental Trading for providing us with the fun supplies to make this craft.
This is part of a 2 blog post series called Easy Ways to Use Valentine’s Day Pinwheels. Check out the other post for free printable Valentine gift tags to tie to your Valentine’s Day Pinwheels.
How To Make a Pinwheel Wreath
Project Time: about an hour
Tools and Materials Needed:
- 12 inch Foam Wreath Form
- White Yarn
- 24 Dots and Stripes Valentine Pinwheels
- Long straight pins with pearl heads (corsage pins)
- White Ribbon, for hanging
1. Wrap the foam wreath form with yarn. I used white yarn, but any color that coordinates with the pinwheels would look great. You want to wrap the wreath form so the foam doesn’t show.
2. Prepare the pinwheels. The Oriental Trading Dots and Stripes Valentine Pinwheels come in two pieces: the pinwheel and the pinwheel stick. Only 13 of the 24 pinwheels need to be put together with their sticks for this wreath. The other 11 pinwheels will need the black plastic pinwheel attachment removed from the back. Simply give it a little pull and it should come right out off of each pinwheel.
3. Use long straight pins to attach 11 pinwheels (without their sticks) all the way around the front of the wreath form. To do this, insert one pin through the center of each pinwheel all the way down into the foam wreath. Insert a second pin through the pinwheel where it touches the wreath for extra security.
Eleven pinwheels without sticks fit on the front of my wreath. I will use the remaining 13 pinwheels with their sticks attached in step 4.
4. Use scissors to trim about 4 inches off the length of each of the remaining 13 pinwheels’ sticks. Insert pinwheels spaced about 2 inches apart into the side of the wreath form, going all the way around the wreath.
You will need to create a small opening in the yarn to be able to insert the pinwheel stick about 2-3 inches into the foam, which will leave about 3 inches of the pinwheel stick on the outside of the wreath.
5. Use straight pins to attach a loop of white ribbon to the back of the wreath for hanging. Be sure to turn all of your pinwheels so they are facing the front (if they aren’t already), and your Valentine’s Day pinwheel wreath is ready to hang.
Shop Valentine’s Day candy, crafts, gifts, cards and more at Oriental Trading. Visit their coupon page for the latest in sales.
Want more Valentine’s Day Pinwheel ideas? Check out the other two blog posts in my blog post series 3 Easy Ways to Use Valentine’s Day Pinwheels: