Wine bottle crafts are a fun way to upcycle empty wine bottles. If you don’t drink wine, make friends with someone who does so they can save their empty bottles for you! I started off with this one, and now I can’t wait to add to my collection of wine bottle vases. They look really cute as table decorations and centerpieces.
Chalkboard spray paint is one of my favorite crafting materials. It is so easy to use and dries quickly. This project can be completed fast. I use chalk or chalk markers to add a message on the bottle. This one says “Hello Summer!” Wine bottles turn into perfect vases. I plan to keep this one filled with fresh flowers all summer long.
How to Make DIY Chalkboard Spray Paint Wine Bottle Vase
- Empty wine bottle
- Chalkboard Spray Paint
1. Wash the bottle and completely remove any labels. I soaked my bottle in hot water with a little dishwashing liquid and the label came right off.
2. Wipe the outside of the bottle with a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol. This step just helps make sure the outside of the bottle is totally clean. You need a clean surface for the spray paint.
3. Apply a light layer of spray paint to the outside of the bottle. Try to cover the entire surface. But it is OK if you miss a spot or two because we will be doing two more light coats. It is better to coat with LIGHT spray paint instead of a thick and heavy coat that will lead to drips. *If you get drips, use sandpaper to smooth them away and try again with the paint.
4. Allow the first light coat to dry completely (it takes anywhere from 10-30 minutes). Apply a second light coat of spray paint and allow it to dry completely, trying to cover any spots the first coat may have missed.
5. Finally, add the third coat of spray paint. The entire outer surface of the wine bottle should be covered with a layer of color. Allow paint to dry completely according to the spray paint directions. I let mine sit overnight.
6. Optional: Use chalk or chalk markers to add a fun quote or decorations to your chalkboard wine bottle decoration. Add a single flower or a bunch of flowers. Some of my favorites are sunflowers and daisies.
This is such a fast and easy craft. Minus the paint dry time, I literally spent less than 5 minutes making this wine bottle vase. That’s my kind of craft!
Do you have any empty wine bottles sitting around the house? What are some ways you upcycle them? Let me know what you think if you make one of these wine bottle vases.