The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free.
A few weeks ago, I went on the 5th grade field trip to our local electric company. It was interesting to see how electricity is made and distributed to homes, schools and businesses. Our tour guide talked about ways to conserve energy and save money on electric bills. One of my biggest takeaways was how everyone can save energy with ENERGY STAR® appliances.
Besides our always-running refrigerator, the appliances I use most are in the laundry room. Did you know an energy efficient washer and dryer has loads of benefits? This quick video tells how you can save money and save energy when you buy ENERGY STAR washers and dryers.
3 Benefits of ENERGY STAR Washers and Dryers
- SAVE MONEY – ENERGY STAR certified clothes washers and dryers save energy, which means that you will save on energy bills. Many are also equipped with advanced features that make cleaning and drying easier and more effective.
- PROTECT THE PLANET – Saving energy means that ENERGY STAR certified washers and dryers help protect the climate, which means that your kids and the planet will benefit for years to come.
- CARE FOR YOUR CLOTHES – ENERGY STAR clothes washers use a variety of sophisticated cleaning methods that are gentler on your clothes, while ENERGY STAR clothes dryers use less heat and sensor drying, which reduces wear and tear on clothes from over-drying.
ENERGY STAR washers and dryers are 25% and 20% more energy efficient than standard models. That’s a huge difference, and you will see it reflected in reduced energy bills. In fact, a new ENERGY STAR certified clothes washer will save you about $45 a year on your utility bills compared to a standard model. You will save $490 over the lifetime of an ENERGY STAR certified clothes washer and even more with an ENERGY STAR washer/dryer pair.
Over the lifetime of the product, an ENERGY STAR certified clothes washer saves 1,100 kWh and more than 2.5 million BTUs of natural gas, and 33,000 gallons of water. If all clothes washers sold in the U.S. were ENERGY STAR certified, we would save more than $4 billion each year and prevent more than 19 billion pounds of carbon pollution annually. This is equal to the emissions from 1.7 million vehicles.
If all clothes dryers sold in the U.S. were ENERGY STAR certified, the energy cost savings would grow to more than $1.5 billion each year and 22 billion pounds of annual carbon pollution would be prevented. This is equal to the emissions from 2 million vehicles!
Savvy shopping experts agree that Fall is a great time to buy a new washer and dryer. This is the time of year to find the latest model ENERGY STAR appliances at Best Buy.
Shop ENERGY STAR appliances at Best Buy
WHAT TO LOOK FOR:
ENERGY STAR Clothes Washers incorporate the following advanced features:
- Multiple configurations– ENERGY STAR certified clothes washers are available in either front-load or redesigned top-load configurations which include technology innovations that help save energy and water.
- Sophisticated wash systems– ENERGY STAR certified top-load machines clean your clothing just like standard models without wasting water to fill up the tub. Instead, these machines use sophisticated wash systems to cycle clothes through a mixture of water and detergent, allowing the clothes to be cleaned without using excess water or detergent.
- No central agitator– Front-load machines tumble clothes through a small amount of water instead of rubbing clothes against an agitator, while advanced top-load machines lift and tumble clothes through a reduced stream of water. Both designs dramatically reduce the amount of hot water and energy used in the wash cycle.
- High spin speeds– Efficient motors spin clothes two to three times faster to extract more water. Less moisture in the clothes means less time in the dryer and less energy spent drying clothes.
- Long live your clothes– Front-load and advanced top-load clothes washers’ sophisticated wash systems use a variety of methods to lift and tumble your laundry, lengthening the life of often-washed items. Additionally, because they are so gentle, many models can safely clean silk, wool and other hand-washables.
ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers incorporate the following advanced features:
- Low Heat Setting– Longer drying cycles on a low heat setting use less energy. When you purchase an ENERGY STAR certified clothes dryer, look for the cycle that uses the least amount of energy, sometimes known as the “energy-saving” selection.
- Steam Cycles– Many ENERGY STAR dryers also include convenient features, such as a steam cycle that can help save time on ironing clothes by preventing wrinkles.
Become a laundry star with an ENERGY STAR washer and dryer! Learn more at the Best Buy blog.