You don’t have to feel guilty about eating an entire cake by yourself when it’s a mini cake! Carrot cake is one of my favorite desserts. I saw these Mini Carrot Cakes on Pinterest and knew I wanted to make them for the Pinterest Remakes hop. I used my own homemade carrot cake recipe and made up the directions.
This is the best carrot cake recipe I have for people who do not like pineapple in their carrot cake. Personally, I love pineapple and coconut in mine. But…my husband does not like pineapple or raisins, so this cake is a compromise. I did put a few raisins in this one for him to eat around. You can leave the raisins out completely or add more raisins if you like. The carrot cake frosting is a basic homemade cream cheese frosting recipe I use on other kinds of cakes, too. You can also use store-bought cream cheese frosting.
Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, ground
- 1/2 cup raisins *add 1 cup if desired
- 3 cups carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- Lightly grease and flour (or spray with nonstick cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper) a large non-stick cookie sheet (*make sure it has a rim around it). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure dry ingredients into your mixer bowl and mix well.
- Combine sugar and oil and mix well. Add eggs and beat until creamy.
- Add dry ingredients and beat until well blended.
- Add ground walnuts. You can also cut up raisins if you like or put them in whole.
- Add carrots and mix well.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes OR until cake is completely done. Check often so it does not overbake.
- Allow cake to cool completely. Once cake is cool, use a round cookie cutter to cut out mini carrot cakes.
- Frost the top of one mini cake with a thick layer of cream cheese frosting and top it with another mini cake. Add a thick layer of frosting. Repeat this step until all mini cakes have been frosted. Decorate with frosting carrots (see directions below.)
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beat cream cheese until softened.
- Add butter, mix well.
- Add 1.5 cups powdered sugar and beat until blended.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth and fluffy. Do not over-mix or frosting will be runny.
*NOTE: Set aside at least a half cup of the cream cheese frosting if you want to add the carrots on top.
How to add the decorative carrots on top:
Add a few drops of food coloring to about 3 tablespoons of the white cream cheese frosting. You’ll need to make a GREEN batch and an ORANGE batch. Use a small circular cake decorating tip to draw the orange part of the carrot. Use the same tip with green frosting to add the top of the carrot.
Here are more Pinterest remakes from a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Pineapple Coconut Coke Cake by My So Called Balanced Life
- Easter Chick Craft made with a Mason Jar by Simply Southern Mom
- Easy Craft: Fillable Easter Ornament by Three Different Directions
- Mason Jar Mini Key Lime Pies by Better in Bulk
- Easy Healthy Recipe: Coconut Red Lentil Curry by Our Family World
- Easy Lavender Carp Freshener by Taking Time for Mommy
- Natural Herb Stenciled Easter Eggs by Upstate Ramblings
- Gold Confetti Drinking Glasses by Homemaking Hacks
- Fudgy Mint Cookies by Lizventures
- Clay Ring Dish with Gold Leaf by How Was Your Day?
- Healthy Coffee Breakfast Shake by LW Vogue
- Easter Bunny Egg Holder Craft by Embracing Homemaking
- Apothecary Jar Easter Centerpiece + 3 Ways to Make Cute Glitter Eggs by Oh So Savvy Mom
- Easy Kids DIY Hair Accessory Organizer by Views from the ‘Ville