OREO dirt cake is still my go-to dessert recipe for just about any occasion. I have yet to receive any complaints – so why mess with perfection? This recipe for dirt cake is so easy, I can actually remember it off the top of my head. And that is a good thing, because everyone who eats it wants me to tell them how to make it.
I’m telling you, this OREO dirt dessert is a winner. I love whoever came up with the original dirt cake recipe. My mom gave me this recipe for dirt cake several years ago, and I never change a thing. It’s a no bake dessert that is fast and easy to make. One secret to fancy it up is to make it in a clear glass bowl or trifle dish so you can see all the pretty layers of OREO “dirt,” pudding and cream.
OREO DIRT CAKE DESSERT RECIPE
- 1 package OREO Cookies
- 1 large box Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 1 tub Cool Whip (thawed)
- 1 (8 oz.) package Cream Cheese (softened)
1. Use a food processor or blender to crush the OREO cookies very fine. The crumbs look just like dirt!
2. Prepare vanilla pudding according to package directions.
3. Use a mixer to combine Cool Whip and Cream Cheese until thoroughly mixed. Do not overbeat.
4. In a large trifle bowl, spread an even layer of OREO cookies on bottom. You’ll use 1/3 of the OREO “dirt” crumbs from Step 1.
5. Spread 1/2 of the vanilla pudding on top of the OREO crumbs, being careful to keep the layers separate. Top the pudding with an even layer of the Cool Whip/Cream Cheese mixture (use 1/2 of the mixture).
6. Repeat layers: 1/3 of the OREO dirt, the other 1/2 of the pudding, the other 1/2 of the Cool Whip/cream cheese. Top with the remaining third of the OREO dirt crumbs. Refrigerate 1-2 hours before serving.
This is one of my most-requested desserts for family get-togethers. It is so simple to make and always a crowd-pleaser. Try it at your next barbeque, potlock or family dinner. If you like this, check out another fun way to serve this OREO dessert in edible dirt bowls with gummy worms.
Have you ever made an OREO Dirt Cake? What is your favorite OREO dessert recipe? Let me know what you think if you try this recipe. Enjoy!