Fruit Pizza is a fun dessert pizza that is probably the most healthy pizza you can eat. Okay, so we do use a sugar cookie crust and a cream cheese frosting…but just focus on all the nutritious fruit and berry toppings! I have made these for years, and one of the best things about fruit pizza is that they are a nice thing to serve just about any time of day. I have used them for mid-morning party food, after school snacks for kids and as a party dessert.
Sugar Cookie Fruit Pizza seems to be one of the most universally-liked dishes. And it is definitely one of the prettiest ones with all that colorful fruit. Good thing this is an easy to make fruit pizza recipe – otherwise I may not be willing to make it so often. The easy recipe for cream cheese frosting has just 2 ingredients.
Sugar Cookie Fruit Pizza Recipe
Makes one 12-inch sugar cookie crust fruit pizza or about 20 sugar cookies for mini fruit pizzas.
Sugar Cookie Crust Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 teaspoons cornstarch (helps keep the dough from sticking)
Sugar Cookie Crust Directions:
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together with a mixer until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cornstarch. Slowly add these dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture. Once they are all combined into a dough, put the dough in an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (up to overnight). *If you do not chill the dough first, it may spread out over your pan when you bake it.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. If you are baking one large sugar cookie crust, spray a 12 inch pizza pan with cooking spray. Remove chilled cookie dough from the refrigerator and press onto the pizza pan evenly into a flat circle. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are very lightly browned. If you are baking individual sugar cookies, roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface until about 1/8 inch thick. Use a round cookie cutter and cut out cookies. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are very lightly browned. Do not overbake.
- Allow cookie crusts to cool completely before adding frosting.
Easy Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 1 (8 ounce) Cream Cheese, softened
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
Use a mixer to combine cream cheese and powdered sugar until evenly mixed.
Once the cookie crust has cooled, you can spread a layer of cream cheese frosting on top. Then it’s time for the fun part – decorating the pizza with your fresh fruit toppings. I usually slice most of the fruit – unless it’s something small like a blueberry or grape. But it’s totally up to you how you want to do it.
I like to start decorating my fruit pizza in the middle, and work my way out. You can make fruit pizza up to one day ahead of time and store it (tightly covered) in the refrigerator. Store leftovers for up to 3 days.
Tips for How to Make Fruit Pizza:
Be sure to chill your sugar cookie dough at least 30 minutes (up to overnight) before rolling it out to bake. This is especially important if you are going to bake one big sugar cookie crust. If you do not chill the dough, it will spread a lot when you bake it and possibly overflow the baking sheet.
If you make one big sugar cookie fruit pizza, you may want to frost the cookie and slice it into pieces BEFORE you add the fruit. It makes it much easier to serve since you won’t have to try to cut through fruit.
Bake one large round sugar cookie on a pizza pan. (Mini fruit pizzas are made with regular sized sugar cookies that can be baked on any cookie sheet.)
Mini Fruit Pizza Cookies are easy to make and serve – no cutting is required. The added bonus is that you can decorate individual fruit pizza cookies in different ways.
Dry the fruit. Make sure the washed fruit is very dry before you add it to your fruit pizza, otherwise you will end up with soggy pizza.
Fruit Pizza Topping Ideas:
My Favorite Toppings for Fruit Pizza:
Use an assortment of fresh fruit including strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, bananas, peaches, kiwi, pineapple, grapes and mandarin oranges. Make a Patriotic Fruit Pizza using red, white and blue fruits and berries (such as strawberries, bananas and blueberries).
Click to download a printable version of this Fruit Pizza Recipe.