Congratulations on completing a jigsaw puzzle! Let’s turn it into jigsaw puzzle wall art. Read on for how to mount a finished jigsaw puzzle to foam board for hanging.
First: Glue Puzzle Together
First, you’ll need a special glue for puzzles. There are several brands, just be sure whatever you use is jigsaw puzzle glue.
A jigsaw puzzle glue is formulated to hold the pieces together and dry clear with a protective, glossy finish.
It really isn’t hard to glue a puzzle together. Before you start using the glue, put a protective layer underneath the jigsaw puzzle. I used freezer paper and that worked great.
Next: Glue Puzzle To Foam Board
Use a spray adhesive to glue the puzzle to the foam board. You have to work fast on this part because spray adhesive dries quickly. It creates a permanent bond so the puzzle stays attached to the foam board.
For best results, add some weight to the top of the puzzle and board while it dries. Cover the top of the jigsaw puzzle with a protective piece of foam board.
Tip: Heavy books or similar items from around the house make good weights.
Finally: Hang Jigsaw Puzzle on the Wall
Finally, the finished jigsaw puzzle is mounted and ready to hang on the wall. Command poster strips work great for this and they won’t damage the wall.
How To Mount a Finished Jigsaw Puzzle
- Poster Hanging Strips
- Books or other flat, heavy objects
- Protective covering for work space
1. You finished the jigsaw puzzle, congratulations! Gather the materials needed to glue jigsaw puzzle to foam board. Put down a protective layer (paper or plastic) to cover the work area so it doesn't get glue on it. Lay your finished jigsaw puzzle on top of the protective layer.
2. Following the directions on your jigsaw puzzle glue container, apply a thin layer of glue for puzzles to the picture side of the jigsaw puzzle. Use the provided tool to spread the glue. I used the provided spreading tool and a plastic gift card worked great as a glue spreader, too.
TIP: Be sure that the thin layer of glue covers the ENTIRE jigsaw puzzle. I worked in small sections to spread the glue. The glue should go all the way to the edges of the puzzle.
3. Allow jigsaw puzzle glue to dry completely. According to my puzzle glue bottle directions, drying takes at least a couple hours. Overnight is best.
4. Carefully transfer the dried jigsaw puzzle to lay on top of a piece of foam board. I lifted up the bottom edge of my jigsaw puzzle just enough to slide the foam board underneath. I continued to carefully slide the foam board until it was all the way under the puzzle.
NOTE: If your jigsaw puzzle measures bigger than the foam board, you will need to use more than one piece of foam board for this jigsaw puzzle mounting project. You need enough foam board cut to fit the back side of the puzzle.
5. If your jigsaw puzzle measures LARGER than one foam board, you will need to trace (or measure) and cut enough foam board pieces to glue to the back of the jigsaw puzzle so that the puzzle is completely backed with pieces of foam board.
If your jigsaw puzzle is SMALLER than one foam board, you will trace the outline of the puzzle onto a piece of foam board. Then, cut the foam board slightly smaller than the outline of the puzzle. The reason you will cut the foam board slightly smaller is so that the foam board does not stick out from under the jigsaw puzzle.
6. Once you have cut the necessary amount of foam board to cover the back of the jigsaw puzzle, cover the top of the jigsaw puzzle with a second full size piece of foam board. Do this to help you to FLIP the glued-together jigsaw puzzle over so that the back (non-picture side) of the jigsaw puzzle is now facing UP.
NOTE: You're making a "puzzle sandwich" with a bottom layer of foam board, middle layer of puzzle, and top layer of foam board. Keep all 3 layers pressed together and carefully turn the layers over so that you have flipped the puzzle to be back side up. Remove the top layer of foam board *this is the foam board you cut to fit the puzzle* and set it next to the puzzle.
7. Get the spray adhesive and be ready to work quickly on this step because spray adhesive dries FAST. Spray the back side of the jigsaw puzzle with spray adhesive to cover it ENTIRELY. Quickly grab the piece of foam board you have trimmed to fit the puzzle and carefully line it up with the back side of the puzzle. Press down to adhere the puzzle to the foam board. Use books or other flat, heavy objects to add weight on top. Allow the glue to dry completely - at least an hour.
8. Once the glue has dried, your puzzle is mounted to the foam board and ready to hang!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Command Small White Poster Strips
Elmer's Acid-Free Foam Boards, 20 x 30 Inches, 3/16-Inch Thick, Bright White, 2-Count (902015)
MasterPieces Accessories, Jigsaw Puzzle Glue Bottle & Wide Plastic Spreader, 5 Ounces each, 2 Pack
Dowdle Jigsaw Puzzle - Wizard of Oz - 1000 Piece
Ravensburger - Disney Princess Heartsong 60 Piece Glitter Jigsaw Puzzle for Kids
Buffalo Games - Cinque Terre - 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle