As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you) for purchases made through my affiliate links. Thanks for your support.
How to make your own Christmas ornaments! See how to create a modern Christmas tree-shaped ornament, embossed with a snowflake pattern, using oven bake clay. Handmade ornaments are thoughtful gifts and sell well at holiday craft fairs.
Follow my easy to follow DIY clay ornament directions to make ornaments in any shape you want. Use your favorite cookie cutters and the sky is the limit.
Clay ornaments are a great craft for beginners. Kids will need adult supervision while using the oven to bake the ornaments. Or, you can skip the baking step IF you use Air Dry Clay instead of Oven Bake Clay.
Find the list of all the materials you need to create this craft below. I would love to see your clay ornament creations! Please tag me @momfindsout in your Instagram shares.
- Sculpey Oven Bake Clay
- Christmas Tree Cookie Cutter
- Thin Ribbon, Twine, or String
- Rolling Pin
- Lined Baking Sheet
- Rubber Stamps or Textured Item
- Wooden Skewer
- Take a 2-3 ounce chunk of clay and knead it with your hands until the clay is soft and pliable. This takes a couple of minutes.
- On a clean surface, roll the clay into a ball. Then, use the rolling pin to flatten it into 1/4 inch thickness. Try to keep the surface smooth and free from wrinkles and cracks. Re-roll if necessary.
- Gently press rubber stamps into the clay to decorate the top surface of the clay.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out a clay ornament in desired shape. Carefully remove the clay from the cookie cutter so that it retains its shape.
- Use a wood skewer or straw to create a hole near the top of the ornament. This hole is for the ornament string. Do not put the hole too close to the other edge of the ornament. Use a spatula to transfer the ornament to the baking sheet. DIRECTIONS NOTE FOR AIR DRY CLAY ONLY: Allow air dry clay ornaments to dry until fully hardened. This takes around 24 hours. Once air dry clay is dried, finish ornament by threading desired length of ribbon, cord, or twine through the hole for hanging.
- Bake ornaments according to package directions. Sculpey oven bake clay recommends baking in a 275 degree oven. Bake for 15 minutes per quarter inch of thickness.
- Remove baked ornaments from oven. Allow to cool. Thread desired length of ribbon, cord, or twine through the hole for hanging.
For best results, roll your clay into a uniform layer 1/4 inch thick. Ornaments thicker than 1/4 inch will take longer to bake if using oven bake clay, and longer to air dry if using air dry clay. Follow baking/drying times and directions on package.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sculpey Original Polymer Clay, 1.75-Pound, White
Simple Tree Cookie Cutter
Wooden Rubber Stamps - Snowflakes
Metallic Cord (Gold and Silver)
Clay Roller - 2-Pack Acrylic Rolling Pin
Wood Mounted Rubber ABC Stamps - Letters and Symbols Set
Air Dry Clay, White (No Bake Clay)
Be sure to check out our Holiday Gift Guide!