See how to make vanilla extract in the instant pot! It’s quick and easy to make homemade vanilla extract with just 2 ingredients.
Instant pot vanilla extract is the perfect homemade gift idea – especially during the holiday baking season. Homemade vanilla is delicious and can last for years properly stored in the pantry!
Vanilla lasts longer when stored away from light. Use brown glass bottles to store homemade vanilla. The darker glass provides sunlight protection.
Homemade Vanilla Bottles for Gift Giving
Check out these 8 ounce amber brown glass vanilla bottles for gift giving.
Vanilla Beans To Make Vanilla Extract
Vanilla beans come in Grade A and Grade B. You can use either kind in this recipe. Grade B is often said to be the best choice for making vanilla extract because it gives a more concentrated vanilla flavor.
What Alcohol For Vanilla Extract
Use at least 80 proof alcohol to make vanilla extract. Vodka is probably the most cost effective choice. Plus, vodka does not have a flavor that will affect the vanilla bean’s flavor when extracted.
Other 80 proof alcohols for making vanilla include bourbon and rum. The flavors of these alcohols blend well with vanilla, but note that they will affect the taste.
This instant pot vanilla recipe uses vodka. There is no need to use an expensive vodka to make homemade vanilla. Get the cheapest name brand.
How To Sterilize Glass Bottles For Vanilla
It is important to use clean and sterilized glass bottles to store vanilla. It is simple to sterilize glass bottles. You’ll need a large pot and tongs.
Fill the pot with water and bring to a boil. Use tongs to lower the bottles and lids into the water. Make sure the bottles are completely covered with water.
Heat bottles for 5 minutes and remove from boiling water. Fill sterilized bottles with vanilla and secure lid.
Other items needed to make vanilla:
In addition to brown glass bottles, Vanilla beans, and alcohol, you will need a small funnel. The funnel spout needs to fit the size of the brown glass bottle spout.
A funnel will make it much easier to fill the bottles with vanilla.
A large measuring cup with a spout for pouring the liquid vanilla into the funnel/bottles.
Vanilla Extract Recipe
See how to make vanilla extract in the instant pot! It's quick and easy to make delicious homemade vanilla extract with just 2 ingredients.
- 1 bottle (750mL) Vodka (80 proof)
- 10-15 Vanilla Beans Grade A or B
1. Use a sharp knife to slice the vanilla bean length wise and scrape out small, dark seeds. Cut vanilla beans (if necessary) to a length that will fit inside the bottles.
2. Put vanilla beans and seeds into the Instant Pot and add the Vodka.
3. Put the lid on IP (instant pot) and seal. Set IP to Manual pressure (high pressure) for 60 minutes.
4. Once the IP beeps after the 60 minutes cook time, turn off and/or unplug the IP. Do not let it stay in the “Keep Warm” setting. Allow the IP to naturally release for about an hour, or until the silver pin has dropped to signal all the pressure is released.
5. Open the IP lid. Use tongs to remove a vanilla bean and put it inside a sterilized bottle. Repeat for each bottle.
6. Carefully Pour the liquid vanilla extract from the IP into a large container or measuring cup with a pour spout.
7. Put the funnel into the mouth of a glass bottle. Pour vanilla into the funnel and allow it to fill the bottle. Let vanilla cool in bottle for 10-15 minutes.
8. Cap the bottle. Repeat this step until all bottles are filled.
9. Once the vanilla extract bottles are completely cool, they are ready for labels.
Homemade IP vanilla will be ready to use in about 2 weeks. Store homemade vanilla in a cool place, away from sunlight. Vanilla flavor will become stronger and the alcohol scent will mellow out as the vanilla ages. This Vanilla gets better with time!
Note that homemade vanilla does not use any artificial coloring, so it will not appear as dark brown in color as store bought vanilla, which often uses artificial colors.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips 2-Cup Angled Measuring Cup
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, Includes App With Over 800 Recipes, Stainless Steel, 6 Quart
Small Funnels for Filling Bottles, 3 Pcs Stainless Steel Kitchen Funnel Set with Long Handle, Food Grade Mini Metal Funnel for Transferring Oil Liquid, Easy Cleaning with a Brush
10 Vanilla Beans - Whole Extract Grade B Pods for Baking, Homemade Extract, Brewing, Coffee, Cooking -
10 Madagascar Vanilla Beans Whole Grade A Vanilla Pods for Vanilla Extract and Baking
12 Pack 8 oz Glass Boston Bottle With Black Poly Cap, Funnel, Chalk Labels, Pen, Dispensing Bottles for Homemade Vanilla Extract
Got questions or comments? Please leave them in the comments below.
This recipe has worked great for me every time. I hope you will love it, too!
Leave a Reply