Loaded baked potato casserole is truly delicious comfort food. Made with real cheese, real potatoes and real bacon, it’s the ultimate family favorite side dish.
There is a beautiful area in northern Utah filled with farms, real cowboys and amazing mountain scenery.
That’s the inspiration for Cache Valley® Creamery, famous for making fresh dairy products since 1937!
Today their products are sold in stores in Utah and surrounding states. I am happy to be partnering with Cache Valley Creamery for this blog post.
Loaded Baked Potato Casserole is one of my favorite dishes. I use lots of real cheddar cheese, real potatoes and real bacon.
For best results, use freshly grated cheese. Freshly grated cheese melts and bakes up so deliciously.
This recipe can easily be the main meal or served as a hearty side dish. Either way, everyone loves to eat it.
Check out our YouTube video for this recipe.
- 4 lbs Red Potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup Butter (Softened)
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Better Than Buillon Chicken Base
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese, Freshly grated (Divided)
- 15 slices Bacon, cooked and crumbled (Divided)
- 3 Green Onions, chopped
- Boil potatoes in a large pot of water for about 25 minutes or until tender. Drain well and return potatoes to the pot. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add sour cream, butter, milk, salt, pepper, bouillon chicken base, garlic salt and garlic powder to the mashed potatoes. Mix well with a mixer or large spoon.
- Stir in 1 cup of freshly grated Cheddar Cheese and 2/3 of the crumbled bacon.
- Place the potato casserole mixture in an even layer in the prepared baking dish. Bake in oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and evenly sprinkle the top of the casserole with a cup of grated Cheddar Cheese and the remaining crumbled bacon.
- Return casserole to oven and bake for 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Remove the casserole from the oven. Scatter green onions on top of the casserole and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Need some inspiration for your next taco night side dishes? Check out another yummy recipe made with Cheddar Cheese. Family favorite Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread.
This hearty Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread is so good, even people who think they don’t like cornbread will eat it!
It is flavorful and has a moist texture, thanks to delicious add-ins like shredded cheese, jalapeno, and cream style corn.
My mom made cornbread for our family all the time when I was growing up, and I use her same recipe to bake cornbread for my own family today.
Do you have a favorite cheese brand? Let us know your favorite kinds of cheese!
For another comfort food recipe idea, try our baked macaroni and cheese.
Made with a mix of colby and cheddar cheese, this easy baked mac and cheese recipe really hits the spot!
Instead of macaroni noodles, I used penne pasta. So, I guess it really should be called Baked Penne and Cheese Recipe. Either way, my kids love it!