I know a lot of people (including me) think slow cookers are mainly for fall and winter comfort foods. But I also like to use my slow cooker in the summertime. Slow cooker meals mean I do not have to heat up the oven (which then heats up the house!) when it is hot outside. And it is always nice to spend more time playing outdoors with the kids instead of worrying about what my family will be eating for dinner.
Chicken Cacciatore is a delicious Italian dish that can be made in the slow cooker! Garlic and herbs smell delicious simmering. Add in extra veggies to boost nutrition. Serve with your favorite pasta noodles. This is sure to become one of your family’s favorite recipes!
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 4-5 hours Serves 6-8
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- 3-4 skinless chicken breasts, thawed
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasonings
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- Thin Spaghetti Noodles (or your favorite type of pasta)
1. Place flour and Italian Seasonings in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken and shake to coat. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and add chicken to brown chicken on all sides.
2. Transfer chicken to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with garlic, onions, green pepper, celery and mushrooms. Pour spaghetti sauce over the top. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken juices run clear and vegetables are tender. Serve with pasta that has been cooked (separately) according to package directions.
You may also want to check out my 2 ingredient Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken recipe.
My kids especially love this easy Slow Cooker Meatballs recipe.
What is your favorite slow cooker recipe? Have you made Chicken Cacciatore? Let me know what you think if you try this recipe at home.