You know those chocolate-dipped and sprinkled ice cream cones they have at the ice cream shop? The ones that look way more colorful and appealing than the traditional cones (and cost an extra dollar or two?) I will show you how easy it is to turn plain ice cream cones into sweet chocolatey sprinkle cones. This method works with any kind of ice cream cone you can buy at the grocery store. The ones pictured here are the pointy-ended sugar cones.
Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cone with Sprinkles
The amounts listed below were enough for me to dip the rims of 12 cones in chocolate and cover with sprinkles. You may use more or less chocolate and sprinkles than I did, just depending on how much of your ice cream cone you want to cover.
- 1 cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 2.5 ounce container Colored Sprinkles
- Ice Cream Cones
*TIP: You could use dark chocolate or white chocolate chips if you prefer. And of course you could use any colors of sprinkles to match a party theme or holiday.
Before you begin, you will want to have a ready place to put your dipped cones while the chocolate cools and sets. I used a cookie cooling rack. The holes in the rack are just the right size for the pointy end of the ice cream cone to sit in upright.
1. Put chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave again for 30 seconds and stir until chips are completely melted. (Repeat if necessary, but careful not to scorch the chocolate.) In the meantime, pour sprinkles into a small bowl.
2. Once the chocolate is melted, take an ice cream cone and dip the rim into the chocolate. You may want to use a spoon to smooth a thin chocolate layer around the top of the cone. Allow any excess chocolate to drip off the cone, then dip it into the sprinkles, using a spoon to help cover the chocolate-dipped part with sprinkles.
3. Set the chocolate-dipped and sprinkled ice cream cone upright to cool. Chocolate will re-harden within a few minutes, depending on the temperature of your kitchen. If you want the chocolate to set faster, you can put the cones in the refrigerator or freezer.
Store any leftover chocolate-dipped ice cream cones with sprinkles in an airtight container, in a cool place so the chocolate does not melt. I like to keep mine in the freezer next to the ice cream. It’s convenient and they will stay fresh longer there, too.
How about some homemade ice cream to go in your delicious ice cream cones? Kids love this Bubble Gum Ice Cream recipe.