I blame my sister for introducing us to the deliciousness called Puppy Chow (or Chex Muddy Buddies, depending on where you live.) There are so many different versions from this Sugar Cookie puppy chow recipe to this Pink and Blue Muddy Buddies recipe for baby showers.
Since the stores are already selling Valentine’s Day M&Ms, I decided to use them in Red Velvet Puppy Chow. The red, pink and white chocolate candies make it a cute Valentine’s Day treat. But hey, any color M&Ms will work for this any time of year. The Red Velvet flavor comes from using a scoop of Red Velvet Cake Mix. For those of you who have been asking where to buy the super cute Cake Boss ice cream bowls in the photos, you can find the set of 4 on Amazon along with the dessert plates.
How to Make Red Velvet Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies)
- 5 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 3/4 cup Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 cup White Chocolate Melts
- 1 cup M&Ms milk chocolate candies
1. Measure 5 cups of Rice Chex cereal into a large mixing bowl and set aside. Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
2. In a large Ziploc bag, mix Red Velvet Cake Mix with Powdered Sugar and set aside.
3. Melt white chocolate in the microwave, according to package directions. Once it is melted, pour it over the top of the Rice Chex cereal and stir to coat the cereal.
4. Working quickly, scoop the the Rice Chex cereal into the large Ziploc bag. Seal the bag and shake the cereal around to complete coat the cereal with the Red Velvet/Sugar mix. The melted chocolate will act like glue so the Red Velvet/Sugar mix will stick to the Rice Chex.
5. Spread the Chex cereal out on the lined baking sheet and allow to cool completely. Mix in 1 cup of M&Ms chocolate candies. Serve.
Store Red Velvet Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies) in an airtight container for up to a week.
Are you a fan of Muddy Buddies (or do you call it Chex Puppy Chow?) What is your favorite version of this yummy snack treat?