This mini campfire craft is fun to make with a variety of natural materials like sticks and rocks. Just add a few bits of colored crepe paper for the flames.
Upcycle cardboard boxes cut into circles, CDs, or DVDs as the campfire base.
If you really want to make it realistic-looking, set a flameless tea candle in the middle. Your campfire will flicker and glow. It looks great in dimly lit settings.
I made about ten of these little campfire crafts to use as centerpieces for a camp themed party. They were a surprise hit, and a couple people even asked to take a few home with them to use as decor on their patio.
Kids ages 6 and up can make these with a little bit of help from an adult.
Go on a Scavenger Hunt for craft materials! My boys liked going outside to collect the rocks and sticks to build our little campfire decoration.
- Small rocks/pebbles (wash and dry to remove dirt)
- Thin wood sticks (approximately 1 to 3 inches long)
- CD/DVD disk or cardboard round
- White Craft Glue
- Red, Orange and Yellow crepe paper and/or tissue paper
- optional: flameless tealight candles
- Glue small rocks/pebbles to cover the top of CD/DVD disk.
- Arrange sticks on top of the rocks to “build” a campfire. Use glue to secure.
- Cut or tear crepe/tissue paper into 1-2 inch pieces. Carefully use the pencil tip to insert pieces of the paper in and around the sticks to look like campfire flames. *Tip: Add a drop of glue to the tissue paper before inserting, so it will secure in place. Gently crinkle the tips of the paper and/or roll the ends to a point for an even more flame-like appearance.
- Put the campfire craft in an undisturbed location and allow glue to dry completely.
There is really no right or wrong way to make your mini campfire. Use as many sticks and colored paper flames as desired to create the look you want. Nestle a flameless tea light candle in the middle of your campfire for a realistic looking fire in dim light.
Do you like to camp? What is your favorite thing to do around a campfire? Tell stories? Sing songs? Roast hotdogs? Make S’mores?