Easy casserole recipes come in handy for busy weeknight dinners. Add sliced Hillshire Farms smoked sausage to make this cheesy potato casserole into a delicious, filling meal. Everyone will want seconds!
#spon: I’m required to disclose a relationship between our site and Hillshire. This could include Hillshire providing us w/content, product, access or other forms of payment.
My secret is to mash the potatoes by hand instead of using a mixer. A potato masher lets you control the consistency of your mashed potatoes. You want these to be lumpy mashed potatoes, so don’t mash them until they are completely smooth and creamy. As my 7-year-old told me: I like the way you mixed mashed potatoes with cut up potatoes. It tastes really good!
You can put this dish together ahead of time and store it in the fridge (up to 5 days) until you’re ready to bake. You’ll just need to add about 20 minutes to the oven bake time to make sure it heats all the way through.
Cheesy Potato Casserole with Smoked Sausage Recipe
- Hillshire Farms Smoked Beef Sausage
- 2.5 pounds red potatoes (about 12 small/medium sized potatoes)
- 2 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- Green Onions, chopped fine (I used 6 onions, just the green stem parts)
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
1. Peel and cut potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Boil until tender (about 20 minutes). Drain potatoes and mash, leaving lumps in the potatoes for texture.
2. Meanwhile, slice Hillshire Farms Smoked Beef Sausage into half inch circles, then slice each circle in half. Saute smoked sausage in a frying pan on medium-high heat until the edges are browned (about 5 to 7 minutes).
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
4. Mix mashed potatoes, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in browned smoked sausage slices and 1.5 cups of cheese. Transfer mixture to the baking dish.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining cheese and green onions. Put bake in oven and bake another 3 to 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Click to download and print this Cheesy Potato Casserole with Smoked Sausage Recipe.
What are your favorite dinner recipes? Has your family tried any Hillshire Farms recipes? Let me know what you think about this recipe, especially if you make it at home.