Mom Always Finds Out is a Filtrete Brand Ambassador. I may have received products and/or compensation for blog post purposes. All opinions in the blog post are my own. The Sponsor is responsible for giveaway prize fulfillment.
We’re all doing it this time of year. Spring cleaning. It feels good to dust off the last bit of winter snow and get my home and yard ready for warmer weather. I love just about everything about this time of year, except the allergy and sinus problems it can bring.
Natural allergy remedies include spring cleaning in ways that may significantly reduce the number of allergens inside your home. Add these ten items to your Spring Cleaning Checklist and breathe easier!
- Wash bed sheets and linens weekly.
- Vacuum your mattresses seasonally. (Yes, you can just set the vacuum up there and let it suck up all the dust mites and other ickies!) Use allergen-proof pillow and mattress covers. Wash weekly.
- Change the air filters in your home to reduce airborne allergens. I use Filtrete air filters in my home. The Filtrete Odor Reduction Filter is 65 times more effective than other carbon filters at removing odors from the entire home, such as those from cooking, tobacco smoke, pets, mildew and cleaning chemicals.
- Steam clean carpets often AND vacuum carpets (be sure to use a vacuum with a HEPA filter) daily. If you have hard floors, clean them regularly to remove dust and other allergens from the surface. Vacuuming alone just temporarily reduces allergens. Steam cleaning destroys allergens. Steam cleaning your carpet is recommended every 6 months. *If you suffer from severe allergies, it is best to get rid of carpet if possible and choose hard flooring.
- Wash shower curtains and liners once a month. Shower curtains and liners can provide the perfect environment for mold growth.
- Wash stuffed animals regularly.
- Wash bath towels regularly (at least once per week).
- Establish a No Shoes policy in your home. Many allergens are brought into our homes on the bottoms of our shoes. Remove shoes at the door.
- Regularly wipe down laundry room appliances to keep dust bunnies and lint buildup away. Be sure to dust underneath the washer and dryer.
- Choose to clean your home with environmentally-friendly products. It’s a healthier way to clean and you won’t introduce unnecessary chemicals into your home’s environment.
What’s left to do on your Spring Cleaning task list? Did you remember to change your home’s air filter this month? How do you get rid of indoor allergens?
I just changed out my old air filter for the Filtrete Ultimate Allergen Reduction Filter. This one outperforms all of its competitors, giving you the ultimate in air cleaning power. Say goodbye to airborne allergens like pollen, mold spores, dust mite debris, pet danger, household dust, bacteria and more! You should try one at your house, too.