Creamy chicken and rice is one of my go to easy slow cooker recipes.
When everyone in the family agrees they love a meal, I feel like the stars and planets have aligned. It is kind of a rare occurrence at my house!
Creamy chicken is one of those meals even my picky eater ASKS me to make from time to time.
Creamy Chicken and Rice
This easy crockpot chicken recipe is on my one to two times a month rotation. It’s a 3 ingredient slow cooker recipe. Four ingredients if you count the rice.
I cook the rice separately and almost always use Minute Rice because that is quick and easy.
Use your family’s favorite rice or serve the creamy chicken gravy over egg noodles. Both ways make easy dinner ideas.
Hawaiian Haystacks Recipe
Add toppings and this creamy chicken and rice turns into a Hawaiian Haystacks recipe!
I never heard of “Hawaiian Haystacks” until we moved to Utah, so this may be a local name for it. I guess that adding pineapples on top is where it gets its name. Honestly, I have no idea!
Some of the most common toppings to add include: Pineapple dices, grated Cheddar cheese, sliced black olives, Chow Mein noodles, diced green onions, diced celery, and diced tomatoes.
My family most likes to top their “Haystacks” with grated Cheddar cheese and diced celery. We don’t usually add pineapples or any other toppings unless someone makes a special request.
This is a great meal to make and feed a lot of people. When my extended family gets together, this is something we make for one of the big meals.
Most people like creamy chicken and rice. The choice of any additional toppings lets them customize their rice bowl.
If you’re feeding a crowd, it is easy to double the recipe if you have a slow cooker large enough to hold that many ingredients.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans Cream of Chicken soup
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Optional Toppings: Grated Cheddar cheese, Chow Mein noodles, diced tomatoes, diced bell peppers, diced pineapples, canned mandarin orange slices, sliced black olives, chopped celery
- 3 cups Minute Rice (prepared according to package directions)
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. Pour chicken broth and Cream of Chicken soup, over the top of the chicken breasts. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Once chicken is cooked, carefully remove it to a bowl and use forks to shred the meat into bite size pieces. Stir the chicken back into the slow cooker soup and stir in sour cream.
- Keep slow cooker on warm setting while you prepare the Minute Rice. Cook Minute rice according to package directions.
- Serve heaping spoonfuls of creamy chicken sauce from slow cooker on top of cooked rice. Add optional toppings if you want or eat it with no additional toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nessie Ladle Spoon -Turquoise Cooking Ladle for Serving Soup, Stew, Gravy & Chili - High Heat Resistant
Instant Pot Pro 10-in-1 Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice/Grain Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Sous Vide, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer
Hamilton Beach Travel Case & Carrier Insulated Bag for 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 Quart Slow Cookers
Crockpot Round Slow Cooker, 4.5 quart
Hamilton Beach Portable 5-Quart Slow Cooker With Lid Latch Strap for Easy Transport
Reynolds Kitchens Slow Cooker Liners, Regular (Fits 3-8 Quarts)
Another delicious and easy family meal is this slow cooker Kahlua Pork recipe. Serve it on rolls for yummy sliders!
My family also likes this crockpot chicken cacciatore recipe. Serve with pasta and a salad for an easy dinner idea.