Strawberry Shortcake may not be your typical winter dessert, but let me tell you, it sure is nice to enjoy a taste of summer in January.
One of my kids special requested that I make strawberry shortcake for our Valentine’s Day dessert, so of course I couldn’t refuse!
This easy Strawberry Shortcake is no bake (thanks to store bought pound cake.) I’ll show you how to make every serving extra special using a heart-shaped cookie cutter – but that’s a totally optional step.
How To Make Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberries (16 ounces, washed and sliced)
- 1 T. Sugar (optional)
- Whipped Topping (I used Cool Whip)
- Pound Cake (I used Sara Lee All Butter Pound Cake)
1. Place sliced strawberries in a small bowl, sprinkle with about 1 Tablespoon of white sugar. Stir and set aside. Adding sugar is optional, but helps adds sweetness to the strawberries.
2. Slice the pound cake into thin layers. My layers were about 1/2 inch thick. I sliced the Sara Lee Pound Cake into 3 rectangular layers. Your pound cake may be different, depending on its size and shape.
3. Optional Step: Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out pound cake hearts.
4. Create your Strawberry Shortcake. No matter what shape your cake layers, you will always: Start with a bottom layer of pound cake. Spread on a layer of whipped topping. Add a layer of strawberry slices. Top with a layer of pound cake.
5. Spread a layer of whipped topping on the tops and sides of the shortcake. Garnish with strawberries. Serve immediately.
Did you notice the strawberries are cut into heart shapes? I used my knife to cut out little notches to make the strawberries look like hearts.
Give it a try, it’s simple and a fun thing to do if it’s for a Valentine’s Day cake decoration. My kids really liked it!
Do you have Valentine’s Day desserts planned? What are your favorite strawberry desserts? Feeling like chocolate? Check out this chocolate cake recipe. Share your ideas in the comments below.
Miz Helen says
What a fun and yummy dessert! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back to see us real soon!
Thank you, Miz Helen! I appreciate your stopping by. I’ll definitely be back to Full Plate Thursday. 🙂 –Nicole
Patricia Stephens says
This sounds so great I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing. Pat